[ian-reeds-games] Re: To summon or not to summon...

  • From: Monkey <murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 07:06:55 -0600

I have a link somewhere, can't find it at the moment though.
Are you using dev 5? Because it should be in the scripts if you're on
that version.

I agree, having players is a great help for improving one's maps. I
have some testers for my fantasy one...haven't heard from some of them
in a while though.

It could theoretically happen with skills, items, and effects too, yep.

On 7/14/15, Allan Thompson <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Oh! I saw it but it never occurred to me. I'll try that out.

I couldn't find the equip max script anywhere. Do you perhaps have a place
to download it from?

I hear you, game balance is really hard. It's why players are so helpful.
They can play it without bias or for knowledge and give an honest opinion of
unit strengths and weaknesses etc. and so forth.
LOL, I guess you open the Pandora's box of scripting!
So if unit/structures can be randomly chosen, couldn't that also happen with
skills?

Yeah, I really need to get this StarCraft thing finished. I just hope after
all this work it doesn't suck, grin.

Al
From: allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx
To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ian-reeds-games] To summon or not to summon...
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:53:25 -0400

I have a problem, and also a StarCraft update for the ones of people
who
are
interested, LOL.
With the advancement of tb in terms of new flags and scripts the work
on
the
Terran faction has gone pretty good. This is not going to be anything
like
warlords. Maybe war craft?
My hope is that it will be similar enough to the game so that those who
have
played it could see a similarity, while those who haven't get a taste
of
what it's really like.
I'm hoping within the week, God willing, I can actually have something
available for testing the Terran faction.
One of the cool things about the Terran are the structures called
add-ons.
They open up technology and help diversify various units with special
abilities. There also able to be used by multiple flying buildings.
One of the ad on buildings is called a reactor. This allows a structure
build more than one unit at a time. This is very useful because
everything
takes rounds to build or train. Because of this time factor, speed is
king.
If you can get your troops out faster into an expansion area or battle,
then
you're that much ahead of the game and/or the other player.
My problem is twofold. One is that with the reactor I'm not really sure
how
to simulate this increase production. I thought maybe being able to
summon
two units at a time might work, but not thrilled with that particular
idea.
What if someone wanted to make two different types of units at the same
time
instead of two from one type.
In addition all the structures that produce units don't start with the
ability to produce them all. Different buildings open up these units,
and
one might not necessarily follow the full tech tree. Someone might want
skip the biological units and go straight for the mechs. So I can't
just
do
a broad stroke, for instance removing and adding all the skills all at
once.
I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too hard about it.

My other problem is that in StarCraft there is different levels of
mineral
mines and gas geysers. In addition they all are not static. As
resources
are
taken away they begin to dwindle until it disappears. As it turns out,
this
is actually become more more important because if a resource doesn't
deplete, then why move to a different expansion? Why would you fight
for
an
expansion?
Anyway, long story short, I'm hoping to get some ideas about these two
things if anyone has the time and inclination.

Thanks for reading,
al

of Nazareth 33AD

--