[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle Dev is freezing whenever I try to end my turn

  • From: Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:58:44 +0930

@Craig: Thanks for the tips. I have done my best to keep them to the edges of
the map, and the one at the top managed to get to the first Centaur Clan,
getting the elves, gnomes and halflings on the way, but there were tons of
enemies gathered around that area because there are three hamlets clustered
together in that part of the map, so even with the cavalry to protect him, he
was still cut down. I can't remember who did it, but it was only one step away
from the next centaur clan. Perhaps my Maven should accompany my diplomat as
well to keep him flying. Same with the fairy and another Maven once I can
summon one. I have plans. :D

@Ian: I have since tested the same map in the stable release and it's also
slow. I have plenty of memory on my computer and have the game itself in the
secondary core, which is larger and has more spare space, but that's not
helping with the speed. :( I still hope it can be somehow improved, though. In
the interim, I'll just have to wait two minutes or more for the battle log to
load. Now that I know this is normal, I may not like it but I can live with it.
I will adapt.

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 01:10:58 -0600
From: support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle Dev is freezing whenever I try
to end my turn

    Hey Craig,

    Assuming the slowdown is new to the latest dev version and did not
    exist in the stable version, I may know what's causing it.

    There were a few changes to the way the core game loop worked and
    one of them could be contributing to the extra lag during an enemy's
    turn.

    I'm finishing up some other things, but I'll have a look at it
    sometime today.

    My local branch has other changes to that area, so I'd like to
    adjust that one my self.

    On 3/10/2015 12:58 AM, Craig Brett
      (Redacted sender craigbrett17@xxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:

      I'm not suffering the same way you are, Sharni, not with any map
      freezing or what have you, anyhow. Though my dev laptop has got a
      fair portion of memory available.

      Memory and speed issues aren't just something you can simply "fix"
      with a little bit of code, but I'm sure there's things we can do
      to help.

      And you can kill incorporeal wraiths, just not with normal units.

      As for your diplomats, I tend to stick to the edge of the map with
      them. I will also tend to throw a distraction towards the enemy
      sometimes. They like a good wounded unit as they see it as an
      easier kill, for the price of a light cavalry or 2, you can slip
      through to the first few allies.

      Sorry that I didn't see your post on the AudioGames.net forum.

      On 10/03/2015 03:30, Sharni-Lee Ward
        wrote:

        I see. I hope he would not object to me adding
          that in. Three Release should be enough.

          > Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 21:06:36 -0600

            > Subject: [ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle Dev is
            freezing whenever I try to end my turn

            > From: murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx

            > To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

            > The summon skill seems to take a release point, which
            the werewolf

            > doesn't seem to have...how odd. Maybe the creator
            forgot to add that

            wrote:

            > > Oh, okay. I'll remember that for later. As it is,
            my diplomats are both dead

            > > and with the situation the way it was when I last
            saved, there's no way a

            > > bard would get far enough without being mauled by
            War Hounds. How many can

            > > one of those Werewolves summon at once? Like I
            said, there were at least

            > > twenty. They shouldn't be able to summon that
            many.

            > >> Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 19:32:12 -0600

            > >> Subject: [ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle
            Dev is freezing whenever I

            > >> try to end my turn

            > >> From: murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx

            > >> To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

            > >> I was under the impression that you could kill
            an incorporeal wraith,

            > >> if you have certain units on your side when
            there is one facing you.

            > >> The warden can kill them, for example, with
            his magical short sword.

            wrote:

> [...]
            do something to improve the

            tons of units on them. Add that to

            up there with making it so the

            before it transformed in case

            units, or worse, one of your

            one of the Undead Wraiths goes

            can kiss my chances of total

            Incorporial Wraith.

            how I can keep my diplomats

            them all the time--I can only

            around my poor defenseless

            got as far as they did was

            ability to fly. She then got

            summoned (there must have been

            my diplomats got killed again

            hordes of enemies are very

            other neutral places.

            Tactical Battle Dev is freezing whenever

            it out works for me, though...

            minutes or whatever, but at least

            wrote:

> [...]
            battle log is taking it's sweet time