[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 2.0 dev 6 released

  • From: Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 09:48:59 +0930

This looks amazing! I'm not entirely sure I want to use the online multiplayer
very much—I have limited bandwidth—but all the other changes sound fantastic! :D

Hey, Monkey, does this mean I can get an updated version of your map pack now?
I really want it. :)

Haven't done much work on mine lately, and when I went to test it, I realised
something game-breaking in the first map, so I have to fix that. And then I
have to try and throw together a sutibly challenging thing for the maps between
that one and the boss battle I came up with... It might take a while and I'm
still very fiercely protective of it. I'm basing it off a game I intend to
build separately, after all.

Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 16:47:05 -0600
Subject: [ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 2.0 dev 6 released
From: murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx
To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh my god, I'm so happy to see this finally released!
*is really excited for multiplayer battles*

And thanks for letting me help you with the testing!

On 8/22/15, Craig Brett <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all Battling Tacticianers,

I'm happy, and just a little relieved, to be able to announce the
release of Tactical Battle 2.0 dev 6! Here is the hopefully pleasing
change log. It's taken directly from the change log file, so I'm afraid
the numbers will be a little out.

33. Made it so that tile, effect and tile step sounds don't play for
flying units, since they're flying and wouldn't cause stepping sounds.
34. Introduced a storyline flag to map pack settings. If specified, maps
are unlocked in the map pack 1 at a time, meaning a player has to
complete the previous map before they move onto the next one. This
persists across game restarts.
35. Added a storyline_starts_at flag to map pack settings, allowing map
pack authors to specify what the last map is before the other maps have
to be unlocked.
36. In storyline map packs, after a map has been completed and if it's
not the last map in the storyline, we give a "go to next map" option as
the first option on the victory screen.
37. Had a bit of a rewrite around adding or removing skills, which
should fix a bug around accidentally removing a skill from all users of
a skill.
38. Fixed a bug where sight range mods could put a unit's sight range
below 0, meaning that a unit cannot even see itself.
39. Moved shared.CreateItem function from the shared object to the
Inventory object, it's now Inventory.CreateAndAddItem(itemName). This
has several benefits, including not needing to take as many steps to add
an item to a unit or tile.
40. Documented FriendlyType for units and FriendlyName for skills,
items, effects and terrains, since I noticed they weren't.
41. Changed AI summoning logic to pick one of its useable summoning
skills at random.
42. Added a description of unit inheritance into the map making
documentation
43. Made it so that start and end turn restores and step restores will
respect point_ignore_max.
44. Fixed a bug where using friendly skills on units from teams set as a
friend team of the user was considered invalid. Similarly, using enemy
skills on said same units was considered valid when it shouldn't be.
This should now be fixed.
45. Fixed a bug where it was possible to do damage to a unit after
they'd been removed from the map, causing additional AtZero effects to
be calculated. This particularly caused problems in the case of AtZero
effects coupled with the transforms_into script.
46. Fixed a bug where the AI would attack units that have been removed
from the map by the previous turn from the same AI unit.
47. Fixed a reported enumeration modified exception that could cause a
crash.
48. Added a no_announce flag to skills and items, which will prevent the
game announcing their usage, for players that want to manually handle
that side of thing through script flags.
49. Added an after_unit_move script event.
50. Fixed a bug where after_effect_fizzled script events weren't firing
for tile effects when used in the new script flag syntax
51. Added a silence_changes flag to points files, allowing map creators
to suppress announcement of point restores or inflicts on that point.
52. Exposed Unit.GetEquippedItems to scripters.
53. Exposed Unit.Flying and documented Unit.IsFlying() to scripters.
54. Fixed a bug where you could press enter/space on an
unseen/unexplored tile and view the menu of a unit there.
55. Fixed a bug where friendly_name wouldn't parse on terrain.
56. Documented how to use sound for map intro_text, victory_text and
defeat_text in the map making guide.
57. Documented Tile.Terrain for scripters. It seems it was already
there, even with ScriptFlags.
58. Fixed a bug where point inflictions caused by effects wouldn't play
nicely with before_point_damage and after_point_damage.
59. Documented the readonly properties item.Stackable, item.Equippable,
and item.Useable.

Oh, I almost forgot, some other changes!

1. Reintroduced online multiplayer. Massive amounts of code change for
this.
2. Removed the option to load a saved multiplayer game, for now.
3. Added a who is online option to the multiplayer menu that will list
all online players.
4. Added a multiplayer and a multiplayer_only flag to map packs.
Multiplayer allows it to show up when selecting a map to host for a
multiplayer game. multiplayer_only also prevents it from showing up in
the single player map pack selection screen.
5. Some significant improvements to only playing speech/sound for things
that the player can see.
6. Allow game creaters to rename any unit/structure on the map. Other
players can rename any unit on their team. Names that players who aren't
the creater give to units who aren't on their team won't be seen by
other players in multiplayer.
7. Hide games that need map packs that the user doesn't have.
8. If a client player leaves during a game, the other players will
receive a message and their team will be switched to run as AI.
9. Added some multiplayer documentation to the user guide.
10. Made it so that the server announces newly created games to players
who aren't currently in a game

I hope you can now see hwy this one took so long to get ready!

I've also included my scripts, which have the following new updates.

* Use the new GetEquippedItems function to move all equipped items on a
transform to the new unit's inventory, not just the unequipped ones
* Made critical_hit_chance_mods (including defence) work on equipped
items as well
* Implemented a move_other_unit_immune flag on a unit to prevent it from
ever being moved with the move_other_unit script
* Made move_other_unit_immune usable with effects and equipped items,
which can now also prevent a unit being moved
* Made critical_hit_immune usable with effects and equipped items,
allowing them to grant immunity to critical hits.
* Fixed a bug where move_other_unit would readd a unit to the map,
rather than just moving it. Needed since now we have after_movement type
scripting that cares how a unit moves.

Also included are script updates from Monkey (aka ShadowMamba) and
Carlos (aka KeyWasFull).

I'd like to give special thanks to Monkey for giving his time and effort
to help test this release. Between us, we found and I fixed about 30
different issues, particularly around multiplayer. Thanks!

I hope you all like. Please let me know if you have any questions. And
hope to see you all online!

Craig

--
-Mew