[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 2.0 dev 2 is ready

  • From: shaun everiss <sm.everiss@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 20:42:31 +1300

aah ok

At 12:56 p.m. 3/03/2015, you wrote:
You don't need to keep downloading them.
Just copy the map packs folder from the old copy of the game to the new.
If you copy the settings folder then it will also remember which map packs you downloaded.

On 3/2/2015 2:14 PM, shaun everiss wrote:
Hmmm I was able to download the update but to be honest I want to keep using my maps I already have I don't want to have to keep downloading them. when I cleared out and replaced all the files in my main install I got an error. I tried by itself to run things and it did work but after I downloaded one of the maps and when I tried to get another one it refused to do it with an error so I went back to 2.0 stable.

At 05:04 a.m. 3/03/2015, you wrote:
Hi Craig,

Thanks a lot for this latest update; the scripting possibilities are really
exciting. Carlos's already hard at work implementing item_point_max_mod (as
the one in tb doesn't seem to work last I checked), item_equip_effect,
item_equip_remove_effect and so on.

When working more on damage reflection, it would be nice if there was an event that triggered after each point of a unit has its damage totaled up, The event
would have the following arguments on it: the source unit that dealt the
damage, the skill that dealt the damage, the target unit that received the
damage, the amount of damage, and the point that was damaged. This script flag
would allow damage reflection to work even with skills with multiple damage
types as its fired after totalling the damage for each type.

Another thing about the damage reflection script is that it wouldn't work for
us even if the above event was present because of how we chose to prevent
friendly fire. We had the player's team do damage types like fire, ice etc
while the enemy did evilfire, evilice, etc. The player's team would be
protected from fire, ice, electric damage and the same thing for the evilfire,
evilice etc damage types for enemies. Unfortunately, if you're trying to
implement damage reflection that reflects the corresponding damage type right
back at you, this approach will obviously not work. It also has other
drawbacks as well aside from this specific scenario.

Can you consider implementing team awareness into the engine? Some suggestions
on the appropriate flags:
enable_global_friendly_fire would be settable in the actual map file on a
per-map basis, which allows your own units to be damaged by friendly fire,
basically the current behaviour and should remain default. (Maybe no need for
this flag)?
disable_global_friendly_fire would be settable on the map file, taking into
account team affiliation when calculating splash damage. Then for skills that the map creater explicitly wanted to enable friendly fire for, there could be
an enable_friendly_fire flag for the skill.

For skills that have splash_effects, the effect is applied indiscriminately
regardless of whether the unit is friendly with the user or not. You could add splash_effects_friendly to only have the splash_effects affect friendlies and
conversely for splash_effects_enemies.

The last scenario I can think of is some way of setting affiliations for tile
effects and terrain. It'd default to none (which is current behaviour), user
(valid for tile effects, this would be the team that the caster was in) and an explicit settable value for terrain. Once it has an affiliation, you would be able to control what it did based on whether its friendly with the occupant of the tile/terrain or not. This last one is probably the hardest to implement i
think, and the other suggestions above would be more helpful for us in the
immediate future.

- Victorious and Carlos