[ian-reeds-games] Tactical Battle 1.13 Dev 24

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:31:57 -0600

Hi all!

Well, I finally took the plunge and implemented an auto update feature.
There's still a bit more I want to do on it, but the core functionality is there and I want to get it out there so that when I fix some other small bugs I can practice the new method of deployment and we can also spot bugs in the update process itself.

Now when you open the game you will be notified if there is an update available. Then an update menu item will show up just above the exit game menu item if one is available. You can choose to get the update or ignore it, but if you ignore it them the game will tell you there's an update each time you open it. After updating finishes there is a console application that is left open that has some logging about the update process, you can press any key while this is focused to close it.

It has 3 major benefits:
1 It makes players aware of the latest version.
2 It makes it really easy to update to the latest version.
3 It only downloads the files that changed since your current version, which means in general it has much faster download times.

The zip file no longer contains a folder inside it named Tactical Battle.
I've tested this with the Windows 7 extract all context menu and it put the extracted contents in a folder with the name of the zip file which is the behavior I hoped for.
Just be aware of that change.
I've named the zip file Tactical Battle Dev since once you start getting updates a version number in the folder name would no longer be accurate.

Here's the new link for dev 24 and possibly all dev versions from now on:
http://BlindAudioGames.com/downloads/Tactical%20Battle%20Dev.zip

There's not much to see until I actually release dev 25, but then it will be interesting to see how things go.