[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 1.11 dev 10

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 23:25:37 -0700

Hi Shaun,

I'll let the map creators respond on questions about their maps.

You said: also if an attack value of 0 is set, and you cover the enemy unit how do i control my own unit or my unit group or even see what is in a group if several are on one tile. I say: What do you mean by attack value? do you mean the attack_range= flag set to 0? Regarding controlling several units on 1 tile you press the tab key or shift + tab to switch between units who are on the same tile. If there is more than 1 unit on the same tile then it will announce and X others at the end of the tile announcement.

You said: I thank a solution would be that enemies can't move to friendly squares and vice versa and attacks can be only 1 square away at minimum but if an attack is 0 then by right unless you choose to you should be able to control your units. I say: There is an opposing_forces_can_share_tiles flag that lets friends and enemies be on the same tile at the same time.
It is not set by default which I think describes the behavior you mentioned.
The attack_range can be set to 0 in case you have a map where you want enemies and friends on the same tile and they can't attack further away than that. I'm not sure what you meant by "but if an attack is 0 then by right unless you choose to you should be able to control your units. "
Please clarify.

Hope that helps.
Ian Reed

On 1/7/2013 11:02 PM, shaun everiss wrote:
on the subject of maps.
in the startrek map the resistance map doesn't work passed the first round. also if an attack value of 0 is set, and you cover the enemy unit how do i control my own unit or my unit group or even see what is in a group if several are on one tile. and ofcause a lot of maps like interglaactic space ships starwas etc have errors in them. I thank a solution would be that enemies can't move to friendly squares and vice versa and attacks can be only 1 square away at minimum but if an attack is 0 then by right unless you choose to you should be able to control your units.

At 11:51 PM 1/7/2013, you wrote:
Hi all!

Dev 10 is here.

Hadi, I've swapped out your number 3.

Carlos, I turned off speech for the AI's turn so it would run as fast as it could and did some performance testing on the zombie strike back map.
It took roughly 20.6 seconds to complete.

After a lot of performance logging I found the problem and added a solution.
It now takes 1 second to complete.

I have one other trick up my sleeve for improving the speed, but it takes a bunch more code and is not as clean so I'll probably skip it for the near term. Though I'll look at it again tomorrow morning, maybe it will be worth doing for the extremely large maps, plus I love performant code.

Austen, this should fix the lag you were seeing on your big maps. The lag would be much worse on very large maps.

This AI speed improvement is the only change for dev 10.

Here is the link for dev 10:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43120001/Tactical%20Battle%201.11%20dev%2010.zip

Enjoy!