[ian-reeds-games] Some thoughts on randomized numbers

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:55:28 -0700

Hey all,

I wanted to throw out a few quick thoughts I have on randomized numbers.

First, a chance_of_success= flag seems like it should only take a percentage.
Does anyone agree or disagree?

I think the cost flags should remain solid numbers. Solid meaining unrandomized.

Now for inflict, restore and protect.
All of these will work basically the same way they have in the past except there will be 4 different ways of supplying numbers.
1 A solid number like health_inflict=10
2 A range like health_inflict=5-10
3 A dice roll like health_inflict=2d6
The 2 is the number of dice and the 6 is how many siders are on each die.
4 A percentage like health_inflict=30%
On inflict and restore this will inflict or restore that percentage of the target's total health points. On protect it will reduce the amount of damage taken by that damage type by that percent.

I think that modifier flags such as health_inflict_mod= will also support these 4 types of numbers. There is a question about what the percentage number on a modifier such as health_inflict_mod=5% means. Does it mean that the original inflict amount deals 5% more damage? If so how does that work with damage types since even a health_inflict_mod= flag always requires a damage type. I guess it could just adjust that damage types damage by the 5%. This could be further helped by me adding a keyword of all that can be used in place of a damage type to specify you want it applied to all damage types.
Such as health_inflict=5%|all versus health_inflict=5%|magic
Or does it mean that the initial damage is dealt and then we add 5% of the target's health to the damage?
I'm leaning towards the first option.
Cost modifier flags will remain solid numbers.

What do you guys think of this idea so far?

Also, I have a small issue that for ranges it seems natural to use a dash to indicate a range, but that would make it confusing to supply negative numbers. One would think I could use something like a comma or pipe to separate them but then certain flags are already using those such as inflict that let's you specify multiple numbers and specify damage types for each.
So that leaves me with something like using the letter r in the middle.
Such as health_inflict=5r10
R makes a bit of sense for range as we are using D for dice.

Any thoughts?