[ian-reeds-games] Re: Some more suggestions

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:33:38 -0500

Hi Zac,
I was thinking about  your auto heal problem and I think I got a solution. Your
idea actually solved one of my own problems, so thanks!

Here is what you can do.
Set up a point called autohealth. make sure it has at_zero=healsplash which
will be your effect.
create another point called movement.
In the unit that will be using the effect, put in an autohealth_max=1
put a skill in it called moves instead of move
Hopefully the unit moves, cause otherwise it won't work.
create the "moves" skill. You can copy and paste the regular move skill, but
you also want to add in the flags autoheal_inflict=1.
I guess you could put it int he regular move skill, but I don't know if that
will announce every time or not.

Anyway, now the good bit.
create an effect called healsplash
in that effect put in splash_range=1 (or whatever range you want)
health_splash_restore=10 (or again whatever) and then autoheal_restore=1.

Of course the unit that will use this will need action points or whatever else
you use for the maps. I always seperate movement and actions but that isn't
necessary. Anyway, this should do what youa re looking for. Every time it
moves, it should lose that autoheal, which causes the effect, which restores
the point, and so when it moves again it loses the point again and so on.

I made the test version and it worked, onoly as a weapon instead, which I was
trying to figure out how to do. When you talked about your idea about passive
haveing splash, I realized that effect could do that and so, in a way you
solved my problem, lol.
The checks in the mail, grin.

I thought about diffrent types of health points being called all health.
sometimes I think that would be neat. It could be like in the teams where it
announces the point whatever you want regardless of the actual point file name.
At other times, It might suck, cause sometimes you really might need to know
exactly what kind of damage a weapon does. I would hate to pick up a weapon and
find out it doesn't work against bears or doesn't work against tanks, unless
the description mentioned it.   Still, I like the idea, and it would make the
announcement cleaner perhaps.

The skill thing is interesting. I am nots ure how that would work though. Maybe
thru a point that triggered an effect that made a skill appear ont he menu list
of the unit? I was just thinking of turning a skill on and off, and the skill
name, when off, was removed from the list of skills. Then I guess it might
amount to the same thing.