[ian-reeds-games] Some StarCraft tests

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@freelist" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 08:31:18 -0400

A while ago I realized that the fantasy map I was making was actually filled
with things that I wanted to accomplish in StarCraft in the first place.
So I ended up bouncing back to StarCraft again.

These are just a few tests that I was hoping would pass muster.
The first map involves gathering resources. The command center gets used to
give orders to space construction vehicles (SCV). Using add and remove
skills, this allowed the SCV to gain resources from one structure and
deliver to another without micromanaging it. Originally the skills used the
flag AI_buff. This work really well without all points being needed, but for
some reason it caused some of the SCV to lose the skill given to it by the
command center. This doesn't happen with the exchange of points and turning
the flag to AI_heal. Yeah, I don't know where to go from there.
If anyone has any ideas let me know, I'd appreciate it.

The second map deals with the command center to be able to tell the SCV to
either defend or to fix.
Again this uses add and remove skills. Fix is a little wonky because the SCV
units given the repair skill don't seem to use it until another unit loses
the same or more amount of damage that the repair skill can heal. This is
great, but those repairing SCV's won't move until they have to. That means
the healing units may be further behind your skirmish line than you would
like.

The third map involves the base three factions of StarCraft.
This is supposed to be a three-way fight. Some things to know is that all
the units have a type of limiting point.
This point is used every time the units does an attack or uses some kind of
ability like shield or other special power. Some units use more of these
points than others.

Terrans use supply, protoss use energy, and thezerg use control.
On this map the Goliath uses three supply while the Marines only use one.
The zealots used 2 of theirs. The zergling doesn't use anything, which makes
up for its apparent weakness.
In the course of the game units will be able to resupply their proprietary
point through various means.
It's kind of a balancing act. The other thing is that unlike StarCraft all
damages now random. This prolongs the life of the units because it takes a
long time to pump out more, especially the big guns.
Also, the add or remove skill flags allowed the protoss to have their
shields. A couple bugs keeps the shields from being perfect, but when the
new update is sent out I think that will get resolved.

The last map is Terran versus protoss. It's pretty obvious that the Terrans
have no chance though if you concentrate fire on one enemy unit, you can
probably knock out its shields.

Thanks for any feedback. I think I'm getting as close as I can to the
original game as tactical battles improves. This game engine has come a long
way, and in my opinion the best accessible engine/game hands-down today.

The dropbox link is below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68028683/new.zip

"The truth will make you free"
Jesus Christ of Nazareth 33AD