[ian-reeds-games] Re: So I had a peek at AGE even though I discovered it had been discontinued...

  • From: "Craig Brett" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "craigbrett17@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 00:19:06 +0100

Just realised that might've come across mean, saying the AG was "not bad", I hope it didn't sound like I was being disparaging.

On 07/05/2015 00:16, Craig Brett (Redacted sender craigbrett17@xxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:

Yeah, I suspect you're right about Ian discontinuing this in favour of the other one. As far as first attempts go, it's not bad, but it can be a little long winded to use.

Haha, I got stuck on it too. For some reason, throwing a coin down the well rings a bell. Can't remember what coin though. When you do, you should be able to float down the well and carry on. It is beatable. And I completely get you wanting to clock it. Especially after coming so far.

True story about the AG Shadowgate, when I was playing through and beat it, I genuinely didn't know you could load and save, so was starting from the beginning each time I died. Countless lost hours, I bet. :(

On 06/05/2015 16:35, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
I decided to download the Adventure Game engine to see what it was like. I saw on the page that Ian had stopped working on it in favour of the project I assume Craig was referring to before, but I thought I'd take a look anyways.

loathed the set up. /Loathed loathed loathed./ The menus are so annoying and I got bored really fast. I'll admit to being used to Braillemon, the audio port of Pokémon a wonderful American woman has been working on, which allowed one to explore the world around them freely. That's part of what I endeavour to create. Exploring and finding items, encountering sparring partners or enemies along the way, is part of my kind of game. Kingdom Hearts is a prime example of what I seek to create.

I also got stuck at the end part of the only game in the thing. I'd expected it would be short, and I kinda cheated and searched for a walkthrough to get me most of the way. No sense wrestling with endless annoying menus. Still ended up stuck at the Wishing Well room. Anyone played Shadowgate all the way through who could help? I may not really like how the game's set up, but I still want to beat it.