[ian-reeds-games] Re: Pros and cons of different game mechanics

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:03:47 -0700

Carlos and Allan, when diagonal movement is implemented it would be an optional thing.

So it would be a map flag like use_diagonals or something.
That way all existing maps would continue to work the same way, but those who want diagonals can have it.

Allan, yeah I agree, Carlos statement about turn based games being better against computers and real time being better for multiplayer really makes a lot of sense. Yeah, it would be 2 different games. Even as we've discussed just TB with multiplayer or without people agree that the maps have to be designed for one or the other.
But TB could support both I think, just with different sets of maps.
I'm not suggesting that TB become a real time strategy game, that would be a completely different game.
Just enjoying the discussion of pros and cons and such.

I'd actually consider the entombed dungeon exploration to be turn based on a grid. This is because (and correct me if I'm wrong) If you never move your party then you will never get in a battle, unless sleeping.
I agree with your other statements about Entombed.
And Entombed had some really beautiful music.

I think that for me 30% of the enjoyment of that game was music, then another 30% was sounds during battle and maybe 40% was the actual game play.
I used to start up the game just to listen to the music.

Well, I digress.

Allan, you mentioned the number pad. This is actually a great solution except for 2 things.
1 laptops generally don't have number pads.
2 Some screen readers use those keys, though they could be put to sleep while in the game. This poses a small problem if a crashing error is presented in the game. But I suppose JAWS users already deal with this because they have to put JAWS to sleep.

Besides those 2 things the number pad is really setup well for diagonal movement.

Zak, you took the words right out of my mouth, but I'll leave them since I already wrote them. Yep diagonal movement would be optional based on the map creators preference.

You are correct that if on a map with use_diagonal then attacking from 1 1 to 2 2 only requires 1 range as does moving. But if the diagonals flag is left off then range would behave as it does today.

Zak said: I don't think tb needs all this, the reason why its essential in toc is because it has large maps and a lot of similar units I say: Good point, I'm not talking about anything soon, just getting the feedback. I think TB's biggest strength is in being configurable and so I bring these things up so we can consider what it would take to support both current TB scenarios as well as TOC type maps as there are a lot of similarities. Then map creators get to choose if they are giving a large map experience or a small one, and both have their merits. TB still has a long way to go to become better at it's small maps too, but it's fun to dream about how far it could go. Yeah, I suppose people would design the multiplayer maps for TB's gameplay which is different than TOC's.
The timer is a good idea and on my list.