[ian-reeds-games] Re: Of sounds and flags and Templates, oh my!

  • From: Monkey <murtagh69.monkeys@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:37:15 -0600

Hello,

Not sure if this will help, but have you tried the GoldWave audio
editing program? That's what I've used to make some of my skill
sounds, such as the combos. I got some of my spells from combining
sounds using that too.
I have a large pack of sounds that Allan Thompson sent me, I should be
able to send you that if I can find the zip file.

The death timer thing you're talking about, that's not a specific
flag. That's me taking a point that has at_zero=death specified in the
point file and reducing it by 1 in the individual unit file.
The inherits= flag has been around for a while, I think. I didn't know
it was a thing either until I saw it in someone's maps and asked about
it here.
Just give me a poke if you want me to help you with either of those.

Terrain...that's not currently available. Unless you have the evil
units use a different type of health than the good ones, then you can
easily do it.
Alternatively you can have the haven terrain added to the
impassable_terrain flag in the evil files, so they won't be able to
move on it. Would that help?

On 4/22/15, Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi again, everyone!

So I've taken a new tack with my map pack and
am just playing around some with my current test map. I have decided to
just use the Fire Mage sound from the Getting Started maps for all of
my mages, but I hope to find a similar yet different sound for the
Chosen. I also have the princess sound covered, but not one for princes.
I"m tempted to just take the voice clip used for the warrior guy in
Kobold Dungeon.

The free sound effects sites I've found are
frustratingly hard to browse and most of the sounds that come up when I
search for what I need are not what I want. The sounds I'm mostly
looking for now are some fierce winds that don't have giant wingbeats
added, a sound that emulates a plant growing very fast, a sound that
would be appropriate when the review cursor passes over a lone tree, the
sound of a tree falling, and if the singer guy is still willing to
assist me, a few short sequences of notes for my singermages' spells. :)
I would also like some appropriate sounds for my crystal mages'
attacks, and some animal and bird noises without noticeable background
sounds. For the crystal mage attacks, I want something chimelike that
also has force behind it, or possibly something glass related. Have you
ever heard a Tibetan singing bowl being played? That kind of musical hum
would be part of what I'm after.

Now to flags. I noticed a few
things in Monkey's files for his map pack that I had never seen in the
Map Creation guide. One such new thing was a flag that dictated how many
rounds a unit would last before it died. I didn't know you could put
the lives of certain units on a timer! I also noticed that he had
several kinds of warrior, but they inherited attributes from different
templates. I was looking at a map and realised, "Wait, there are a bunch
of warriors but different groups have different sounds and
descriptions," so I looked it up. I had no idea this was possible
either, as again, it wasn't mentioned in the map creation guide. I
looked at the one in the latest dev version as well, and there was no
sign of this being a thing.

Also on the subject of flags, is it
possible for the effects a special terrain tile has to only work on
friendly units? In the pack I'm working on, there's a terrain called a
haven which heals any unit that steps onto it and protects them as long
as they're standing there, but I don't want this to work on enemies. I
would like it if I could add an effect that killed any enemy who dared
to move onto a haven, but that would be a game breaker, so I'd prefer it
if there was a flag I could use to prevent evil units from stepping
onto the terrain. Period. Is this possible? If not, can it be made
possible?

I think that's everything for now. Hope someone can help! :)

--
-Mew