[ian-reeds-games] Re: Kobold dungeon bugs?

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 20:43:58 -0500

Hi Carlos,
I am very sorry about that. I must have zipped up the wrong one.
You will know the almost finished one by the change in music (again) and the
main characters have names. oh, and the dwarf was a test. I was seeing how the
monsters there worked and reacted together.

So far the changes involve:
A much better user guide.
All the main characters have names.
Music change (again). These are from that nosoap radio website. not quite as
hard hitting as the prvious one, but I wanted to use some of that new music.

The mage has a shapechange spell which is really effective with the garbage
room, in my opinion. The garbage room has been changed, to a certain extent,
concering the monsters and locations.

More magical items have been put into the map, and more quivers. I changed up
the weapons and armor types to allow a little more flexibility.

The bless spell grants not only damage bonus but a +10% chance to hit, which
will make that more useful.

The reason the chance  is at 60% is due to the fact that  magical items
increase the chance to hit as well as damage. This includes the amulet of the
eagles eye and any weapon with a + after it, like +1 sword etc. Each plus is
around 5% increase. I think the ring of strength held by one of the bad guys
does not increase to hit chances, but maybe I should rethink that.

The map was not designd to be a charge into the enemy kind of map. The
charracters are weak on purpose, so that they can increase in with the new
weapons and armor as they push forward to the final battle.

I know the bows work, so maybe the bow got accidently unequipped? It happens to
me when I  equip something, and I think I am pushing down to get to the next
slot, but really it is just moving me thru the equip list on the same slot. A
shortbow gives a range of four, a longbow 5. One of the confusing  things is
that the attack and bow skills are in the skill  list, and we are so used to
just useing the skill list, that we forget to equip the weapons, which
ultimately modify that skill. So when a weapon is not equipped, and the skill
is used, the bare minimum  from that skill with an unequipped weapon is used.
Once equipped the weapons work really quite well.

The current version of the map does have a stronger end fight, and I haven't
been able to test it it yet. Also there is some save game issues with the map
being really big, so I think you are safe to get about 5 saves in total during
the game if need be.

I really like items, and you always want to make sure you check out what your
enemy dropped. Spears are really useful.

As for the elf haveing rage...It made sense to me. I wanted the ranger to have
a special ability, and it occured to me that an elf could get as angry as
anyone else when confronted with injustice in the world.
So while the dwarf becomes like the hulk when enraged, the elf becomes cool and
precise. I just made sense to me. Do you think I should change that? I guess I
could call it something else, like maybe a talent, or a feat, or archery skill.

Thanks for playing it and giveing me that feedback! I appreciate it. Hopefully
the new one will be a bit better. The mage and cleric  's spell casting points
do regenerate so don't be afraid to cast spells.

Oh, and make sure you look for traps. Shift+ F4 will give descriptions that
will alert you if a tile seems trapped.

I think that is about it...Oh, and the heal skill the cleric has can heal other
effects like infection and poison etc.