[ian-reeds-games] Gender-neutral sounds for mages

  • From: Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:57:38 +0930

Hi,

After some thought regarding my previously mentioned sound issue, I've decided
I want sounds that aren't locked into a specific gender. It's okay for Age of
Warlords, where all the wizards are male and all the mavens are female, and in
Kobold Dungeon where there's only one of each unit type (at least on the good
team), but I'll be wanting my mages to be of both genders in case I have a set
of maps where certain mages are named. My villainous mages are gendered, but
evil laughs get annoying after a while. I want something simple that won't
drive one mad. This is what I like about the Getting Started maps—the warrior
sound is a sword being drawn, the archer one is a bowstring being pulled taut,
etc. I don't like the fire mage sound for those maps, though. It's too long and
there's a second of silence before it plays. The concept, though, would work. I
just need about a dozen neutral sounds—mages and chosen can have the same
sounds if they're of the same element. Bearers I'm not sure of. Maybe them too
unless I can think of something better, or special gender neutral sounds for
them too. :)

Can anyone help me out here?

Also, slightly off-topic, but is the engine case-sensitive? I've seen a lot of
file names in lower case, although the Getting Started ones aren't, but all the
lines I've seen in map-pack files have no upper case except in description
strings and whatnot.