[ian-reeds-games] Re: Catch-up

  • From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thompson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 14:05:34 -0500

Hi Craig,
I sympathize, cause I am sure my name is all over the place the past few days...

There is a website up, ont he same site Ian uses for TB and AGE.

Map Packs: http://www.blindaudiogames.com/home/mappacks

The game was officially updated in public a few days ago.

I got a dropbox suspension for going over 20gb bandwidth per day. That was my
own fault, but hopefully the ban will gt lifted and the zombie map I got will
be able to be donwloaded again. Austen and Carlos have maps up too. Austen has
developed some shield workarounds that were ingenious, and doing resource
management. It was interesting to see the ai pushed to the limits.

Dev 1 of the new version came out, with ai_controlled as a flag for units to be
ai but also friendly. Ian has made some very  clever flags to take over ai
friendlies when they misbehave, or when you want them to go first.
He made a timer victory/defeat condition which I plan on useing at some point
on the zombie map.

Carlos made a really interesting game based on Treasure hunting, you should
check it out when you get the chance, it hassome real potential.

We got some new map creators, Hadi and Greta and they are both working on some
really interesting themes. Greta has a elemental magic theme with some twists
that should prove exciting, and Hadi has some "street justice" shaping up int
he form of a map where the player attacks an organized criminal organization.
Taht sounds like it is going to be alot of fun.

We talked about the coordinate system on the map packs. I never noticed it,
showing my brilliant iignorance at math. The Y coordinate going down is
supposed to ascend in numerical value, instead this ist he other way around int
he game.
Honestly, I never even considered it one way or the other.
However it is important people are comfortable with their maps one way or the
other, so everyone is making a vote on what Ian  should do, with Ian's approval
of course. The vote was to either make a toggle so the map creator, or maybe
the player, I don't recall, can change the  coordinate system to what they are
more comfortable with. The second option was to have the normal coordinate
system as the default, but be allowed to put in a flag to change it to thegame
way of doing things.

We talked about sound effects and music a bit,a nd I found out that we should
not borrow sound effects from other audio games. However Austen, and I will
follow his example, myself, offer up  whatever sound effects are int he sound
folders of our packs, for the sake of the game. There is a lot of free sound
effects out there, so it shouldn't be too hard  to find something useful. I
know I shared some sounds with you for star trek, and none of those came from
any audio game  I know of, and they came off of multiple sites offering them
for free, so I don't see any problem with them.

Gasp...I think that is everything. lol.