[ian-reeds-games] Re: Another draft version of my map pack and Re: Multiplayer

  • From: shaun everiss <sm.everiss@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:39:13 +1300

well allan the gorn map just ends as if you have won and well I havn't done anything.

I have beat a few of the maps.

At 05:05 PM 1/11/2013, you wrote:
Hey Craig,
I was int he middle of writing an email back, but once again things happen, sigh. Anyway, yeah, the bug is everywhere. I just found out my bro in law got knocked down by it, literally. Before him my other brother in law had it, and most likely he gave it to us for xmas.
Anyway, Yeah, I think that is going to be a really neat flag.
Thanks for trying the starship maps. I beat the first six, and I am currently tweaking the last four or so so they aren't offical in any way. One of the things to remember is how the ai works, and how you can equal the playing field with some of the skills you have. Also on some of the levels are special reports. On the lyran level the engineer tells you something very useful. On the stolen starship level, you are given something important by your first officer. They are skills, they don't cost anything to play, since they are only audio, but they come in handy.

Thanks for clueing me in about the turbolasers on the capital ships.
Randomness with dice rolling is going to be a huge game changer for those who wish to implement it! I think that might add dimensions to all sorts of maps in all sorts of diffrent ways. especially that flak feature you are talking about. That will be very cool.

Back in the old caveman days of video games, like circa 1983 or so I had a Mattel Electronics intellivision. It was the competition against against the huge atari 2600. Anyway, Intellivision had this cool thing called a voice module. It then released several games that had literal talking voices, very understandable voices. Male, female, even one with a southern accent. It was fantastic. Well, they had made this game called b17 bomber. You flew a b17 during ww2 from england to germany and dropped bombs on their low resolution 8bit nazi supporting pixels! During the trip, you had to fly the plane, but if you ran into german air screens, you had the machine guns at four positions, namely front, back and either side. The germans would fly acorss the screen shooting at you, and you would try to shoot them down. If you blew it, you got three or four bullet holes in your screen and that gunner was toast. When it was time to drop you played navigator, and your ability to drop bombs were based on how high or low you were, and how fast, so it was always tough to estimate where the bombs will drop. Now, it was possible for the navigator to bite the bullet, which means you don't get any crosshairs. If the plane gets really shot up, you have to try to keep it level and up in altitude and that was nerve wracking. You had to worry about your gas, and there was a number of times that I coasted back over the channel on fumes. It was perhaps the best game the system ever had. Well, the whole point of this was the flak. When you got closer to your target in europe, you started to get flak. Sometimes it hit the plane, and you would get the rumble and alert, and someone telling you to "watch for flak". It would show up like black puffs and you could see it thru all the diffrent screens of the plane. Naturally, the higher you were in altitude, the less flack you got, but also the slower the terrain underneath passed, and it became really hard to judge where the target will be. If you fly closer, the flak literally becomes crazy, your plane gets multiple hits all the while you are trying to drop some bombs.

What that has to do with star wars? I don't know. I just thought I would tell you about it, cause of the word flak. So I see where you are going with that more or less and I like it alot.

Multiplayer is one of those things that I am not interested in, but for the sake of the game, might be a necessity to reach a broader group of people. How that will work is really kind of tough. I would imagine it would not be two people facing off real time, or maybe if it was, then maybe there would be a real time option for those who want to go head to hhead at a specific time, or a more by move game where one player moves his units, the other gets the update at some point later on and then makes their move and vice versa. As long as my prefered one player play is not disturbed, it doesn't bother me.