[ian-reeds-games] Re: Another big response

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:44:50 -0700

Carlos,

Using the I, J, K, and L keys would work, though map creators could not use those for hot keys anymore. Unless I made it so you hold shift plus those to move your review cursor and control plus those to move the current unit.

I'm actually looking at using I, J, K, L, plus U O, M, and comma for doing diagonal movement.

Not sure completely, but I've been avoiding using shift plus any of those keys in order to support moving the current unit diagonally.

I hate requiring shift plus keys just to navigate the map, but consuming all those keys and not letting map creators do hot keys with them seems a shame as well.

Maybe the hot keys map creators choose should all be shift + the key or control plus the key. Then I could use the non shift / non control versions for normal movement plus game wide hot keys.

Just thinking aloud now.  I'll put some more thought into it later.

Does TOC allow diagonal movement?

Does anyone think diagonal movement would be nice for their maps? I've had people ask why I didn't do it in TB. It's about 80% done because of things I had to implement in the breadth first search and other things related to line of sight.
So I was going to add it as an option soon since it's not too far off.
The biggest thing left is getting the keyboard shortcuts right for it.