[ian-reeds-games] Re: A response

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 13:19:08 -0600

Dickson, Thanks for the feedback and flag requests. I've added them to my list.

To stop the AI from recasting a buff try setting the ai_buff flag on that skill. The AI should look at what effects the skill causes and not use the spell on a unit who already has those effects. This might not work as you expect if the skill causes 2 effects, one that has a short duration and one that has a long as the AI will keep recasting to grant the short effect. See if that helps the situation at all and maybe I can have a look at the skill to see why the AI is misusing it.

Craig, it's been a long time since I played knights of the old republic and I had more vision back then so I can't comment too well on navigating with low vision. As I recall things like deflecting blaster bolts were automatic and based off of what skills or perks you had chosen for your character. So you would determine where your character moves and what method of attack it uses but the chance to hit and block were automatic. I believe you could also pause combat at any time to issue new orders to your characters. And have it setup to auto pause whenever a character needs new orders or something important happens in combat, such as a friend or enemy character dieing. One thing that was difficult even when I had more vision was that many aliens do not speak to you in English which means you have to read the sub titles, back when I played it my vision restricted my reading speed to something very slow which was frustrating because the sub titles would fly by and I'd feel I missed some of the conversation.
I no longer read with my eyes so I wouldn't attempt the game these days.

For the multiplayer I actually meant that the RPG Maker will not support multiplayer for a while. Mostly because it makes my brain hurt to allow so much flexibility in combat style and other things while also considering how they will all work in multiplayer and where games will be hosted and saved and such. The other title that sticks to just real time combat will be multiplayer as I'm going to try to make more of a game than a game engine with it which allows a few easier choices about hosting and saving characters.

Good luck with your scripts! I'm sure everyone will enjoy them as they have with the past ones.

It's important to note that downloading the star wars map pack will overwrite your local copy.
It shows up in the list because it is not listed in the downloads.dat file.

The size comparison occurs between the size of the last zip file that was downloaded from that link and the size of the one currently hosted on the web server. The last zip file's size is stored in downloads.dat when it is successfully downloaded and installed to the map packs folder. I don't have any way to compare against the uncompressed version as it will always be larger than the zipped up version. I could zip up the local copy, but that would be time consuming and even then it seems that different zip programs can create zip files with the same contents but of different sizes which would mean my zip library might not create a file of the same size as the one a map creator is using. All that said, I think the download feature handles the most common scenario well.

Jarek and Mohsin, I don't think the number of messages would be slowing things down but obviously there is a problem somewhere. As a workaround are you able to save after 30 turns, restart the game, and then load your game and have the speed improved?
It's a tricky bug to figure out.