[ian-reeds-games] Re: A more in depth update

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:00:57 -0600

Zak, I've added the change for the hidden flag to my list.
I'm going to skip on the top 3 features vote for now.
Doing a top 3 vote would imply that I'm going to work hard on getting a lot of them done, and right now I just can't commit the time. When I do get time for TB it will be focused on bugs, small features, or things that I get personally motivated about. Feel free to ask for features, especially small ones that will make a big difference for you like the hidden flag. A top 3 vote will be more exciting for me and for you when I have a large chunk of time to spend on them in the near term.

Allan, thanks for the clarification. I think we're on the same page about equippable items as skills.

Allan said: For example, if you had dungeon random encounters, the map maker could have four diffrent small maps already created and randomly choosen from. I say: Yes, that's one of the basic options I tried to outline and I'm glad to hear you feel it would be a good enough solution to make it worthwhile.

Allan said: So I would suggest that the random/normal encounters all be consistent. Meaning that they should be all number 1, or 2 or 3 as a default. I say: Yes, I definitely did not mean that each random encounter would randomly choose between option 1 and 2 for the type, I also think that would feel very sloppy. A map maker should be able to say that there game uses option 1 always, or option 2 always or option 1 for all random encounters and option 2 for specific pre defined army battles. In the first Suikoden all random encounters used option 1 and then there were pre defined army battles using something closer to option 2 and I'd forgotten about the third type you mentioned which was a 1 on 1 battle, but was also only for pre defined points in the game. Perhaps in the later Suikodens there were even random encounters that changed the fight type based on the number of characters as you say, I only got to play a little of Suikoden 2 so I didn't experience it for myself. One more clarification. I don't want the RPG engine to force the creator to stick with option 2 for army battles or option 1 for normal encounters. The options are just options and the person creating the RPG should be able to choose which is used in his RPG and when. So, in short, I think we are also on the same page on this and I appreciate your clarification.

Lol, yes, I've been thinkin of it as the first person exploration of Swamp with mud like combat, you definitely hit it on the head.