[hybrid.circuits] Re: 5 users

  • From: Rod Kirkhart <spyralhead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hybrid.circuits@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:55:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Tom and Clyde,  I appeciate your help. I answered your questions below.
It's nice to know what my options are in case I do not get a license agreement.

Rod
"T.L. Dlouhy" <tdcad@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Rod,

The FR4 board cost would be minimal. I know of several fabrication shops
that are very reasonable on price. Other things to consider would be:

1. What components are to be placed on the circuit? SMT resistors and
capacitors are fairly inexpensive in quantities, but vary depending on
values.  SOT 143 Diode package and a 0603 capacitor

2. Will the product need to be assembled and tested in a clean room
environment to meet certain specifications?  No clean room is needed.

3. How will the final component/assembly be mounted for customer use? Is
it to be surface mount contacts or leaded for thru holes? How will the
contacts/leads be attached to the PCB/substrate?  It will be surface mount.

4. An enclosure is most likely going to be needed. How will this attach
to the PCB/substrate (Hi-Temp solder, crimping, etc.)  A plastic or ceramic lid
will be needed to be applied by epoxy , then cured in an oven.

5. The test equipment could be rather expensive, but it can be leased
for the time it is needed. How automated is the testing process to be?
Can fixtures be made for automation or can existing fixtures be
used/modified?  There is only 1 test needed for production( insertion loss).
Test fixtures would be quite easy to produce.

I agree with Clyde with getting an attorney and having the Minicircuits
proposal reviewed. Another company you may want to approach is Remec.

Tom Dlouhy, C.I.D.