[huskerlug] Re: Web Server

  • From: "J.R. Wessels" <jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 10 Apr 2002 20:02:18 -0500

What I did with all my Debian installs was download the floppy images
for Debian Potato at first, then do a network install for the rest using
the testing sources.  The floppies I think I used were the rescue,root,
and the four drivers floppies.  The base was installed over the
network.  Then, when the system rebooted, before I went any further with
the software selection, I changed to a different console, logged in as
root, and changed the /etc/apt/sources.list file to have only these two
lines:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib
non-free

Then....

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install apache

Then.... you have your webserver with the minimum amount of software
downloaded.  I wouldn't be surprised if the final install was less than
60 megs.

On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 15:58, Scott Brown wrote:

> I think I've decided to go Debian.  Next step is how to get a distro.  I
> see that some sites has .iso files.  Debians is something like 3 iso's at
> about 670 meg a piece.  What do most people recommend for getting a copy of
> Debian in a short amount of time without downloading so much.
>
> Thanks
>
> Scott

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part