[huskerlug] Re: RPM "Purgatory"

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 12:39:52 -0600

Exactly!

I left SuSE just after Novell bought it for three reasons:
1)  the initial Novell SUSE EULA was decidedly anti-GPL
2) Yast was only good for installing and uninstalling RPMs that came on
the CD set that I purchased. (I always purchased boxed sets of SuSE...
between 5.3 and 8.2 I purchased 22).
3)  When I attempted to install foreign RPMs, mainly from the site you
mentioned,  only the RPMS which were from the version of SuSE I was
running, or the prior version,  stood half a chance of installing.
The rest of the time I usually encountered the RPM hell you so aptly
described.

--
=========
GreyGeek