[huskerlug] Re: MySQL on Linux working with ODBC - need a gui

  • From: J.R.Wessels <jwessels@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:10:10 -0600

For me, it depends on the situation.  For the administration of the MySQL, I
first went to the command line.  Databases, tables, user administration, and
learning how inserts/querys work were things that I went for first.  However,
the actual use of the database was severly hampered by using only command
line.  Having to select the right table, fill in all the column headers, and
then their corresponding new values was very tedious.  That's my keyword, if
it's too tedious I go for something that trys to automate.  That was when I
started looking at KSQL, MySQL's gui, XSQL, and the other ones that were just
administration that was all done easier on the command line.

When doing the ODBC, I set that all up through vi.  The hard part was there
was no documentation on the web in one easy to find location.  It was stuffed
in the back of unixODBC's website, and even then, they left out the fact I
had to put the user configuration stuff (not the odbc driver conf stuff) in a
hidden file in the user's home directory as .odbc.ini.

I would have gladly used a ncurses based interface if it did the job, I
didn't find any.  KSQL, and hopefully this web interface I'm working on,
would have automated the entry and query system so it would be much faster.
For example, and using a very good ncurses one too, look at the old method of
configuring a kernel.  In the old method back with 2.0 and before, you were
asked tens of questions.  If you messed up, you had to go into the config
files and edit the option you answered wrong to, or start the process over
again.  Then came menuconfig, which is still used in kernel configuration.
It is very easy to navigate, and you can double check everything.

I agree that if people tried to go to the heart of the stuff, which I did at
first for setting up MySQL, they would understand the system much more.
Then, their technical skills would definitely improve immensely.  Some people
feel that the only way to get stuff done is to start using the computer
immediately, without cracking a manual or readme open.  They are also given
the false impression that guis are the only way to get stuff done.  Like all
tools, they have their place (including Windows) and if you use them all in
the appropriate places, things can move at an incredible pace.

On Saturday 17 March 2001 02:55, Joey wrote:
> uhm no.  What i said was "windowing".  You can make command line guis too.
> But what I was saying is that it seems like every0ne here uses front ends
> for everything, netcfg, etc.. it  just dissapointing because these types of
> things rob you of precious knowledge.  It seems that when any "real"
> questions are asked, no one seems to know the answers, I definately think
> there is a direct correlation.

- --

J.R. Wessels
http://cse.unl.edu/~jwessels