[huskerlug] Re: Knoppix 4.0.2

  • From: "Spencer Janssen" <spencerjanssen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:04:49 -0500

I'm not too familiar with Knoppix, but I believe this can be done with
standard Linux tools.  I assume that knoppix.img is a file containing
an ext{2 or 3} filesystem, perhaps someone more familiar with Knoppix
can comment on this?  Use these instructions at your own risk, I
strongly recommend you back up any important files in your knoppix.img
before attempting this.

First, boot into Knoppix, but do not mount your knoppix.img.  cd to
the directory containing knoppix.img (you might need to mount the
device that it's on first).

> e2fsck -f knoppix.img
If this outputs something like "Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying
backup blocks..." stop following these instructions.  The error
message means that knoppix.img isn't an ext2/3 filesystem.

This command will extend your file by 10MB.  To extend it by 20MB,
replace 20k with 40k in this command.  To extend by x MB, use (2*x)k
for the count parameter.
> dd if=/dev/zero count=20k >> knoppix.img
PLEASE NOTE THE DOUBLE GREATER THAN!

Check that we haven't broken anything yet:
> e2fsck -f knoppix.img

Resize the filesystem!
> resize2fs knoppix.img

Try using your image now, hopefully everything worked.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen