[huskerlug] Re: Installing Knoppix to hard-drive

  • From: "Paul Andrews" <pandrews@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:31:21 -0600

I'm confused.  You say the opposite things in your statement.  I always
figured hard drives are essentially an electric motor, which typically (if
it avoids over heating/ceasing/damage) can essentially run forever... I
know, not forever, but longer than five years, and it's because it has to
"spin down" sometimes (read: shutdowns of computer in my case) and then spin
up again when the computer is booted where the "damage" comes in.
A similar thing is seen in florescent lights.  They will run much longer if
you just leave them on continuously.  But, if you turn them on and off
frequently, they burn out much quicker.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what I always figured (and why I leave my
computer on all the time).

Paul