[huskerlug] Gentoo (Sabayon) questions

  • From: Boian Berberov <berberov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:24:48 -0600

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the list.  I have been using Linux, on some level, since
Mandrake 7.2.  Currently I am using a mixture of OpenSUSE 10.2, Ubuntu
6.06 and 6.10 and now Sabayon Linux 3.26.

First, I have a few questions about Sabayon Linux.  It is apparently a
Gentoo derivative, (I am not sure what word is appropriate).  When it
installs to the hard drive it "becomes" Gentoo from what the forum
says.  This is the first time I have installed Gentoo in any form and I
am unfamiliar with how to properly maintain it.

I was unable to use the bcm43xx module to set up my wireless so I
configured ndiswrapper.  Ndiswrapper was not loading properly so I tried
"modules-update force."  That somehow stopped bcm43xx from loading (I
get error messages now), but ndiswrapper still was not loading.  I added
the line "ndiswrapper" to "/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6" and that
seems to work.  However, I have been noticing decreased performance ever
since I did "modules-update force."  I think a few additional modules
are loaded now and I have a few I did not need from before.  What should
I do? How do I properly manage modules?

Sabayon, also seems to load both LVM, and software RAID support
automatically, I have looked through "/etc/runlevels", but I have not
been able to find anything.  I do not need to have these features all
the time and I was wandering if there is a way to turn them off.

I have a SMC IrCC port on my laptop and have been trying to get lirc to
work for a long time.  I also have a Creative RM-900 remote from an old
SB kit, which is supported by lirc.  It would be great to be able to use
lirc for presentations in class, and as a side-effect, it would also
promote Linux.  Has anyone been able to get lirc to work with an
Irda/CIR port on any distribution?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Boian Berberov