[huskerlug] Re: Gentoo Question on package development/portage.

  • From: Carl Lundstedt <clundst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:21:48 -0600

I've been having good luck with RPMs of late in Fedora and CentOS.  Yum
seems to have taken some leaps forward.  Its been a long time since I've
been staring at a cursor stuck in RPMHell(tm).

I will say that SuSE still has real package issues and annoyances.  I
haven't used SuSE since OpenSuse 10.1 (which I think is still pretty
current) but the silly distro simply DEMANDED that I put the
installation media in the drive in order to satisfy dependencies.  I
thought that was pretty lame.  When I'd disable the DVD as a source then
RPM-Hell would ensue.

I go to great lengths to avoid compiling anything anymore since <Rocky
the flying squirrel> That trick never works...</Rocky the flying
squirrel>

Carl