[huskerlug] Re: Gentoo Question on package development/portage.

  • From: "Joseph R. Smith" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 07:37:29 -0600

speaking as a gentoo user:

Speed increases are definitely present when compiling with the -o3
optimizations. using USE flags to specify what components to add and remove
from package defaults gives it some edge too.

You don't have to compile packages from scratch, using the -k command will
install binaries.

I love apt-get, but the level of control emerge and friends gives you is
unbeatable-- and honestly, very straightforward.

(I have gentoo installed on a sony vaio notebook (fs660) with all the hardware
working, minimal effort).

I'm a gentoo convert previously running SuSE as my main distro. I'm never
going back to anything RPM based.