[huskerlug] Re: Gentoo Question on package development/portage.

  • From: Hexadecimal <hexcat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 19:08:02 -0600

I've tried Gentoo, but then realized that compiling everything was pretty
much providing 0 performance gain (for me) over binary packages, and it was
wasting a heck of a lot of time.  I've fallen in love with apt-get and
absolutely love having a large listing of binary packages at my fingertips
(I still run FreeBSD on my server though; I've been considering
Ubuntu-server recently), although I don't care for having 900000 unnecessary
things in my kernel... oh well, it still boots quickly.
-Seth