[huskerlug] Re: Gentoo Question on package development/portage.

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:51:28 -0600

Paul Andrews wrote:
> When I decide I want to remove a package I no longer use, usually there are
> dependencies
> that aren't going to be used either, but aren't removed with `emerge -Ca
> <package>`.  Quite frustrating, but not the end of the world.
I find that true on most Linux distros I've used, .rpm or .deb.     But,
as long as the stale dependencies don't get in the way of any other
package I decided not to worry about them, mainly because I usually
don't watch what is added along with an app when I install it, and even
if I did watch I doubt if I could remember what they were.  If I wrote
them down I'd probably forget where I put the paper or that I had
written it down at all.

So, I just use Synaptic to add and remove apps as I choose, and let
apt-get  mind the details.

=========
GreyGeek
=========
Remember, a consumer is a customer with no choice.
DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'