[huskerlug] Re: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

  • From: "Martin Wolff" <mwolff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:32:41 -0500

they didn't consider quality the same as popularity.  The paragraph
above the rankings said

"These distributions are loosely listed in order of popularity on
DistroWatch, which is NOT an indication of their market share or
quality."

I knew  Ubuntu was going to be number one before clicking the link
because, well, I've used it and it really is __that__ good.  Also,
practically every story even remotely involving Ubuntu makes the
frontpage of slashdot and/or digg.  The rest, although I don't see
much news about them anymore, I figured would be on there because they
were on the list before.

Also, I've never been very good with the whole free/non-free
technicalities, but I'm thinking that every distro on this list is
actually not completely free.  Stallman's site lists only Utotu,
gNewSense, and blag as completely free. Can anyone else speak
intelligently about this because I'll admit, I'm not sure?  If it is
true that every distro on the top ten list is not completely free,
well, I guess I would just find that interesting.  It is also
interesting to note that Ubuntu plans on releasing a completely free
version of itself sometime.(it was announced on....umm... the 12th of
this month I think..anyways)

Martin