[huskerlug] Re: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

  • From: James Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:54:28 -0500

Patrick, that is one great thing about Linuxes  and the BSDs, they're
free. So, you can try them out and
see if they suit your needs. I'm glad to see you're trying out something
new.  I tried out the live Cd of
NetBSD, and it worked well, and I see they finally came out with an
upgrade of that.  It will at
least go on a virtual machine, if it works well enough.  I suppose the
only thing I might push at the
moment is Debian "Etch" but they're suppose to stop supporting it
entirely in about a year.

You might take a look at Mepis8 and see how that will work on free
computers, they are suppose
to have a version of it, that is aimed at older computers, so that would
be well worth looking into. ---Jim