[huskerlug] Re: DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

  • From: GreyGeek <GreyGeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:43:22 -0500

**JMiahMan, admin of the PCLinuxOS hardware database and developer of
EeePCLinuxOS, voiced his dismay at the announcement: "Not hearing from
Texstar for more than a year, development [by the community] continued,
then the moment before release passwords were changed on servers and
suddenly Texstar is back and now not only halting the release, but
saying all the hard work the community did for a year wasn't good
enough. That's leadership suicide." **

I patiently waited for PCLOS 2009, but when the beta came out I was
stunned.  It was NO WHERE near the quality that TexStar normally lets
out the door.  I can understand his dismay.  I can only imagine how bad
it was BEFORE that two week delay, considering how poor the release
was.  To make matters worse, the "Ripper Gang" decided on their own that
PCLOS wouldn't see KDE4 until Summer or fall of 2010, if then.  Now,
THAT'S suicide!

Alas, poor PCLOS, I knew thee well.  RIP.
GG

P.S. -- all is not lost.  On a whim, while waiting for PCLOS 2009 to
released so I could switch back from Mandriva 2009 PWP to it, I heard
that Kubuntu was releasing an ALPH5 for 9.04, so I tried it.  Talk about
being stunned!    I had been waiting for Mandriva to fix the Intel_x86
driver for the GM45 chip.  Kubuntu had it fixed and they also had the
1600X900 display resolution available.   I am now running the beta
release, which has been rock stolid stable.  There were 88 updates
today.  Progress is rapid and the quality gets better and better.   IMO,
it is already better than many distros GOLD releases.
GG