[huskerlug] Re: Budget Cuts again

  • From: Patrick <pberry26@xxxxxxxxx>UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:19:19 -0800 (PST)

> > Not everybody in a position of importance knows
> what is happening in the
> > computing world.  They rely on other people to
> keep them informed about
> > things.  We can give him that initial information.
>  Maybe he will ask us
> > for a proposal of some sort.  Maybe he'll ask the
> people that the
> > university pays to know about this stuff for a
> proposal.  Maybe he won't
> > do a damn thing.  If we don't give this to him
> then what are we really
> > doing?  Sporadic meetings and an email list don't
> make for a fully
> > functional LUG.
snipped - - - -
> >>From the Website:
> >
> > "The purpose of HLUG is to provide support for
> Linux and it's
> > applications, connect Linux users in the area, and
> expose others to
> > alternative computing solutions they may not be
> aware of."

> > Thanks
> > Eric Penne
> > epenne@xxxxxxxx

snipped_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
> >> But there are problems with it -- problems, for
> the most part, that
> >> come
> >> from limitations in windows.
SNIPPED _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _
Who wants to deal with a multiply convicted FELON?
I believe it taints my business to do so... And, I
wonder at our academic institutions...

Get Knoppix.  I did the demo with it booting up from
the CD and then running, at a computer show, on 18
different computers and the vendors/dealers each made
a copy!  It boots in less than the time XP can, but
Knoppix finds ALL the hardware, PLUS, configures it!

They started the distro on their demo  machines that
ran XP, (boot/run Knoppix from CD!)and several of them
stated that they are becomming Linux Advocates, due to
the mass movement to Open Source by so many business
in the enterprise of Worldwide trade, see the list,
here:

        http://m-tech.ab.ca/linux-biz/

Latest to move over to Open Source Linux are Toyota,
'Number 3 car maker in the world', and Chrysler-Benz!

(http://slashdot.org) archives...

Where is a graduate student's (your!) first/next job
coming from?  Who wants to work for a convicted FELON,
who has been convicted in France, ($3 million fine),
and the U.S., plus, over 250 other convictions for
"Theft of intellectual property"!  Microsoft is the
planet's biggest Pirate!  University of the
Philippines President's Letter, here:

http://www.up.edu.ph/forum/2002/Nov-Dec02/letter.html

If you know POSIX compliant OSes, that is where the
new market is opening up!  What lay-offs?  Those are
in the Microsoft-centric universe, of Big Biz
Felonies, corruption, and scandals.

To install Debian from a Knoppix CD start up,
click on the terminal in the toolbar, at the prompt
type: sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall (hit 'enter')

On my dual PIII 550 with the BX Asus P2B-D, the thing
was totally done, up on the internet, in 32 minutes,
with 900 applications in 2200Mb! This included
partitioning empty parts of the hard drive, making a
rescue diskette, and loading the dual boot LILO
program in first sector of MBR!

NOTE: it comes up in GERMAN!  Open the Kontrollzentrum
(Control Panel ) and change the language preferences
for the SYSTEM to your choice, plus, go to the
Peripherals and chang the language of the keyboard to
your choice.  LOG OUT/IN to make all applications
accept the changes.

=====
Patrick
Linux User #65411 http://counter.li.org