[huskerlug] Re: Budget Cuts again

  • From: Eric Penne <epenne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:23:07 -0800 (PST)

Nowhere did I say anything about us supporting anything.  Perlman has
to make decisions to cut funds.  Increasing support and licensing costs
don't help him to cut funds.  We need to "suggest" alternatives to him.

Not everybody in a position of importance knows what is happening in
the computing world.  They rely on other people to keep them informed
about things.  We can give him that initial information.  Maybe he will
ask us for a proposal of some sort.  Maybe he'll ask the people that
the university pays to know about this stuff for a proposal.  Maybe he
won't do a damn thing.  If we don't give this to him then what are we
really doing?  Sporadic meetings and an email list don't make for a
fully functional LUG.

I know about time constraints and pressure.  Just a few years ago I was
taking a full load of classes in EE and working 20 hours/week.  At one
time I was doing both of those and the president of the student IEEE
group.    Don't flame me for pushing you.  If you feel overloaded then
you need to delegate responsibility.  If there is nobody else to take
responsibility then you need to find somebody who will. I pushed people
to get them doing something that mattered.  I helped get more than one
passive person actively contributing to the group. I just want to raise
awareness of what we are here for.

From the Website:

"The purpose of HLUG is to provide support for Linux and it's
applications, connect Linux users in the area, and expose others to
alternative computing solutions they may not be aware of."

In this instance, screw the ongoing support, we're not paid to do this.
 We are connecting linux users in the area, yeah!  I think ASUN blew us
off.  In reality I've never liked ASUN.  Too much power, too much
apathy, not enough brains, flat out overrated.  But this is our chance
to expose an alternative computing solution to Perlman.  He's looking
for any way to reduce the budget that will result in minimal staff and
programs lost.  He doesn't want to cut the budget, he has to.  This
requires budget cuts everywhere.  If we can suggest an alternative that
may cut $10,000 from the budget over the next 2 years then he wants to
see it.  That 10G could save a grad student or help keep tuition and
fees down.

*takes a deep breath*

Thanks
Eric Penne