[huskerlug] Re: Archiving email.

  • From: Gabe Ives <gabe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:27:18 -0600

I have all my e-mail back to 1996 hosted on my own private e-mail server
(though separate from the one(s) my e-mail actually gets delivered to)
in Maildir format.  Then I use secure IMAP (or webmail, or even sshing
in to the server) to connect to it from anywhere I am.  I can search
easily for things I need, and it's been really handy and at times a
lifesaver to be able to find things easily and quickly (I've searched
for things even using cat and grep, and that worked great too).
Obviously I've taken precautions to not lose my messages in case of
crashes and such, I use RAID 5, and have regular backups (though
admittedly they are not offsite, so if I have a fire at my house, I'd
lose all those messages...maybe I should take a copy of the backups to
work?).

Using gmail probably would work about the same, though I was doing this
way before gmail was out, and I also prefer to keep the messages on my
own server, under my own control.

So I'd suggest you weigh what is more important to you, convenience of
using gmail (it's already been setup and is maintained by someone else),
verse what you want as far as privacy and control of your own messages
and services.

Gabe