[hsdd] High-Speed Digital Design Newsletter Via Inductance II

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howiej@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:30:55 -0700

                   VIA INDUCTANCE II

HIGH-SPEED DIGITAL DESIGN     ?  online newsletter  ?
Vol. 6  Issue 08

  Greetings Everyone!

  Let me tell you about what's happening with my new
  Advanced High-Speed Signal Propagation class.
  After piloting the course at Oxford University last
  May, I have spent the summer refining the material
  in preparation for the U.S. premier in San Jose on
  October 27-28.

  As you probably know, I love doing live experiments
  during my seminars. This feature remains one of the
  more popular parts of the classroom experience. I
  like to show how things really work.

  Unfortunately, a classroom setting limits the length
  and complexity of the experiments I can do. To break
  free of that limitation I've begun filming new
  versions of the experimental demonstrations that I
  conduct in my High-Speed Digital Design class, as well
  as all-new experiments for the Advanced class. The
  first of these videos will be shown during the October
  classes, in lieu of live demonstrations.

  The filmed versions eliminate wasted movement
  between measurement setups, allowing me to pack more
  measurements into the same amount of time. The films
  proceed much like a TV cooking show?first I explain
  what I'm going to do, show the ingredients, and then
  we cut directly to the finished pudding. Spectacular
  video close-ups give the audience a much better
  viewing perspective that is possible in a live
  format. A professional movie crew, with full lights
  and sound, did the filming and editing.

  Initially, the videos will be shown only during my
  classes.  I look forward to receiving feedback from
  those of you who have the opportunity to view them.

  The following question is directly related to one
  of my video experiments AND to the material covered
  in the Advanced class.

VIA INDUCTANCE II

  The following values for the inductance of an
  interplane via were collected using the incremental
  inductance technique described in chapter 5 of  High-
  Speed Signal Propagation: Advanced Black Magic, ISBN
  013084408X, and discussed in detail during my video
  "Inductance of Via", which will be shown as part of
  my new Advanced class. I hope you find the numbers
  useful.

  The setup is shown in , Fig. 5.33, p. 353, of High-
  Speed Signal Propagation (if you don't have the
  book, the figure also appears in newsletter Vol. 6
  Issue 02, "Via Inductance"). The setup provides for
  four layers (signal, plane, plane, signal). The
  trace proceeds from layer 1, down through a signal
  via to layer 4, and then continues across the board.
  The planes are connected by a single interplane via,
  located some distance away from the signal via. The
  interplane connection is designed to be movable, so
  you can see the impact of its placement on the
  performance of the via. I can actually put my hand
  on the interplane connection and drag it back and
  forth while watching the TDR response getting better
  and worse--a fantastic way to optimize via geometry.

  The purpose of making these measurements was to
  corroborate real-world measurements of via
  inductance with a simple approximation:

     L[VIA] = [u/(2*pi)]*2*h*ln(s/r)

  Where LVIA is the inductance, in H, taking into
  account only that portion of the via inductance due
  to the traversal of the interplane space interior to
  the pcb,

  ln() is the natural logarithm,

  h is the interplane spacing (height),

  s is the separation between the signal via and one
  interplane connection, and

  r is the radius of the via.

  In metric mks units (h, s, and r in meters, L in
  Henries), the constant (u/(2*pi)) works out to 2E-07
  H/m (assuming a non-magnetic dielectric).

  In English units, (h, s, and r in inches, L in nH)
  the constant (u/(2*pi)) equals 5.08 nH/in.

  The dimensions of the real-world via under study
  are:

     Via diameter              0.010
     Via radius                0.005
     Interplane separation     0.040
     Conductor thickness (all) 0.0062 (~1/2 oz. Cu)
     Clearance hole diameter   0.024
     Pad dia. on signal layer  0.024
            (pads stripped on plane layers)
     Trace width               0.0075
     Trace height              0.004
     Trace length (on either side of via)  0.240
     Dimension of planes (plan view) 0.480 x 0.240

  The following results were obtained for the
  incremental inductance of the via. The data were
  taken using an HP 4271B digital four-terminal LCR
  meter operating at a frequency of 1 MHz. The results
  are listed as a function of the spacing S between
  the signal via and the interplane connection
  (measured center-to-center). The units for S are
  inches, the inductances are listed in nH, and the
  capacitances are in pF. All values listed here are
  corrected for the model scale and assume the real
  via is surrounded by FR-4 having an effective
  dielectric constant of 4.1 at 1 GHz.

     S L[VIA,PREDICTED] L[VIA,MEASURED] C[VIA,MEASURED]

     1.7      0.49             0.46          0.40
     2        0.56             0.54          0.38
     3        0.73             0.76          0.37
     6        1.00             1.07          0.37
     9        1.17             1.25          0.37
     12       1.29             1.41          0.37

  Two known factors account for the deviation between
  predicted and measured results.

  First, the planes in this experiment (0.480 x 0.240)
  were only a few times larger than the interplane
  spacing (0.040), a factor which is known to affect
  (slightly) the measured results. This effect becomes
  more pronounced as the interplane connection is
  moved further from the signal via.

  Second, the simple approximation takes into account
  only that portion of the via inductance due to the
  traversal of the interplane space interior to the
  pcb, ignoring the inductance of the via stubs
  protruding above and below the planes. The via stubs
  in this case are much shorter than the interplane
  spacing. Additional errors result from mechanical
  imprecision of the model, and noise and parasitic
  effects in the measurement apparatus.

  The definition of L[VIA] is used in determining
  the reflection coefficient of a via (High-Speed
  Signal Propagation, chapter 5), and also appears as
  the term L2 in the overall inductance of a bypass
  capacitor (see "Parasitic Inductance of Bypass
  Capacitors", EDN July 20, 2000).

  Via inductance, via capacitance, trace loss, S-
  parameters, and a wealth of other topics related to
  high-speed digital operation above 1 GHz are all
  included in my all-new class, High-Speed Signal
  Propagation. See the synopsis at www.sigcon.com.

EXTRA FOR EXPERTS

  The stainless steel (type 304, non-magnetic) used in
  the model has a resistivity 40 times higher than
  copper. This feature enlarges the depth of
  penetration of current (skin depth) in the model, so
  that the ratio of skin depth to conductor thickness
  in my giant 100:1 model, when measured at 1 MHz, is
  comparable to a copper via, at a scale 100 times
  smaller, operated at a frequency of 250 MHz.

  The trace geometry was designed so that, if the
  model were stuffed with an FR-4 dielectric, the
  model trace characteristic impedance would be 50
  ohms. So that I could get my hands on the model to
  actually move the interplance via to different
  positions between the planes, the dielectric I used
  in the model was nothing but thin air (mostly). To
  hold the model trace in position, and to separate
  the planes, I used small wooden dielectric supports.
  These supports are clearly visible in the video. The
  use of an air dielectric, while it affects the
  capacitance of the via, has no effect on its
  inductance. The characteristic impedance of the air-
  dielectric trace in the model works out to about 85
  ohms.

Best Regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

  Join us for the US premier of my Advanced class in
  San Jose, CA:
   Advanced High-Speed Signal Propagation: Oct. 27-28
         ...and for the popular
   High-Speed Digital Design: Oct. 23-24

  We are currently reserving dates for
  private classes next spring.  Contact Jennifer at
  509.997.0505 or info03@xxxxxxxxxx if you'd like to
  book a class.

  A full schedule of cities and dates for public
  appearances is posted at: www.sigcon.com.

If  you  have an idea that would make a  good  topic for
a   future  newsletter,  please  send  it to hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to this list send an email to
hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field.

hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.

Newsletter Archives: http://www.sigcon.com/
Copyright 2003, Signal Consulting, Inc.