[hsdd] High-Speed Digital Design Newsletter BGA Crosstalk

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howie03@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:30:16 -0800

                     BGA CROSSTALK

HIGH-SPEED DIGITAL DESIGN     ?  online newsletter  ?
Vol. 8  Issue 03

  Tomorrow my travels take me to Austin, TX, home to
  some of my favorite music. Hope I get a chance to
  escape from my hotel and see the sights (and enjoy
  the food). The week after that I will be doing
  public courses in:

     Boston, MA
     March 7-11, 2005

  and then again in

     Austin, TX
     April 11-15, 2005

BGA CROSSTALK

This month I penned a massive work on the subject of
crosstalk in BGA packages, the sort of thing we usually
call "ground bounce", or "Vcc bounce". This 20-page
white paper compares theory, simulation, and measured
reality.

It includes a brief section outlining the nature of BGA
crosstalk, highlighting the shortcomings of simplistic
ground-bounce models that focus on the concept of ground-
pin inductance. It then shows actual measured data from
two high-speed FPGA components (Xilinx® Virtex?-4 LX60
and Altera® Stratix® II LS60) pumping maximum current
into as many as 500 simultaneous outputs. The
correspondence between calculated and measured data is
as striking as is the difference in performance between
package types.

If you haven't seriously studied BGA packaging and
crosstalk, now is the time to learn something about the
subject.

I was really jazzed about being able to use the latest
Tektronix 8-GHz scope for this project. The resolution
with averaging on this instrument is just fantastic and
the pictures come through crystal-clear.

I will host a free web seminar about this paper
tomorrow, Tuesday, March 1, 2005 at 11:00 am PST (2:00
pm EST, 19:00 GMT). I hope you can join us. Register
here
http://www.xilinx.com/events/webcasts/tol/01feb05.htm
(oops! I guess this link tells you which package did
better?).

My talk is listed: "Seminar #3: Achieving Superior
Signal Integrity for Breakthrough Performance"
(although I just call it "BGA Crosstalk").

Directly after the talk, I will post the complete paper
on my web site here:
www.sigcon.com/pubs/news/v8_03

Thanks to Xilinx, Inc. for their support of this work,
and Tektronix, Inc. for supplying the measurement
equipment.

    © 2005 Signal Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved.
       Xilinx is a registered trademark, and Virtex-4 a
                             trademark, of Xilinx, Inc.
 Altera and Stratix are registered trademarks of Altera
                                           Corporation.
  All other company and product names may be trademarks
                         of their respective companies.

Newsletter Archives: http://www.sigcon.com/
Copyright 2005, Signal Consulting, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.