[hsdd] High-Speed Digital Design Newsletter

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howiej@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:38:49 -0700

               High-Speed Digital Design

                 *On-Line Newsletter*

         Dr. Howard Johnson, Vol. 5  Issue 10
   I  plan to chair a technical session (theme 10, #38,
   "Signal Integrity Analysis and Design") at the  IEEE
   International Symposium on EMC, to be held  May  11-
   16, 2003 in Istanbul, Turkey.

   I  know it?s a long trip for many of you, but please
   consider  joining  me  at this event.  Precious  few
   IEEE  societies  have  expressed  any  interest   in
   Signal  Integrity, and I think we should do what  we
   can to support their efforts.

   My  session will explore regions of common  interest
   between the subjects of EMC and signal integrity.

   *** CALL FOR PAPERS ***

   Any  and  all  interested in submitting  papers  for
   presentation  at  the session are invited  to  write
   to:

      howiej@xxxxxxxxxx

   Suggested  topics  include the control  of  ringing,
   crosstalk,   ground  bounce,  power  supply   noise,
   signal  rise time, stray returning signal  currents,
   split  ground planes, noise isolation barriers,  and
   the    propagation   of   extremely   high-frequency
   waveforms.

   The  session chair has a special interest in digital
   systems   operating  at  signaling  frequencies   in
   excess of 1 Gb/s.

   For more information, see www.ortra.com/emc2003/

   *** IMPORTANT DATES ***

   Submission  of abstracts & preliminary  manuscripts:
   October 13, 2002

   Notification of acceptance:  November 15, 2002

   Advanced program distribution: December 5, 2002

   Camera Ready Manuscripts:  March 15, 2003

*-------------*TECHNICAL TOPIC*----------------------*

Working with EMC Consultants

   If  you  design very many digital products, at  some
   point   you?ll  probably  have  to   hire   an   EMC
   consultant.

   The  biggest EMC mistake you can make is the failure
   to  get  your  consultant involved at a sufficiently
   early stage. Getting early advice and guidance  from
   someone  who  works on a daily basis  with  products
   just  like  yours is invaluable. Note  that  I  said
   someone  who works with products like yours.  That?s
   an  important part of selecting a good EMC advisor--
   you  want  someone who knows from direct  experience
   what  parts  of  your  type of product  will  likely
   radiate the most.

   Experience  plays such a large role in EMC  problems
   because  EMC  is  an under-constrained  optimization
   problem. In the theory of optimization, one  worries
   about  the  number of constraints versus the  number
   of  variables in a problem. The world of EMC carries
   on   the  constraint  side  some  radiated  emission
   limits  that  you  must  not  exceed,  and  a  total
   product  cost  which  should  be  minimized.  That?s
   about it.

   On  the  variables side, there are zillions of  ways
   to  put  together a product that could  work.  Every
   nut,  bolt,  panel, trace, wire, IC,  and  connector
   affects both emissions and cost. There are too  many
   variables,   and   too   few  constraints.   Working
   strictly   from   the   constraints,   there?s    no
   mathematical  way to force out one perfect,  optimum
   solution. Therefore, we fall back on experience.

   Here?s  a checklist of design-experience issues  you
   may   want   to   take   under  consideration   when
   evaluating an EMC person?s background:

      Clock  speed,  signal risetime,  and  RF  carrier
      frequencies used

      Total  product  power (relates to the  complexity
      of the power delivery apparatus)

      Physical size (wearable, desktop, rack-mount,  or
      industrial plant)

      Packaging complexity (custom or off-the-shelf  IC
      packaging, flip-chip, MCM, etc.)

      Use   of  removable  or  configurable  components
      (this creates holes in the packaging)

      External    cabling   (type   and    number    of
      connections)

      Manufacturing  volume  (at  higher  volumes  more
      alternatives    become   available    for    cost
      reduction)

      Sensitivity   to  cost  (is  it  a  military   or
      consumer product)

      Time-to-market   (fast  design   cycles   require
      immediate and unimpeded access to your advisor)

   The  second-biggest EMC mistake you can make  is  to
   hire  more than one EMC advisor. That puts you  into
   the same position as a man who owns two watches:  he
   never knows which one is right.

   It?s  not difficult to locate a good EMC consultant.
   One  reasonable place to start is at your local IEEE
   EMC  Society chapter meeting. The EMC society of the
   IEEE  is  particularly well organized. Most chapters
   hold  regular meetings. At these meeting the members
   hear  technical  presentations, discuss  the  latest
   theories,  eat  some  pizza, and  talk  about  who?s
   hiring  whom.  It?s the perfect place to  locate  an
   advisor,  check their references, and sign  them  up
   for work.

   Or,  if  you want to meet a really large  number  of
   EMC  professionals, and learn some neat stuff in the
   process, visit Turkey for the big international  EMC
   symposium May 11-16, 2003. I?ll be there.

Best Regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

   Don?t  miss my upcoming seminar at Oxford University
   in  the  U.K., November 26-27, 2002. This  class  is
   open  to all (see www.sigcon.com). During class I?ll
   preview  some of the new material from  my  upcoming
   book, ?High-Speed Signal Propagation?.

If  you  have an idea that would make a  good  topic for
a   future  newsletter,  please  send  it to hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to this list send an email to
hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field.

hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.

Newsletter Archives: http://www.sigcon.com/
Copyright 2002, Signal Consulting, Inc.