[hsdd] High-Speed Digital Design Newsletter

  • From: "Dr. Howard Johnson" <howiej@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:02:04 -0800

*** OUR NEWSLETTERS GOT BACKED UP IN FREELISTS.ORG LAST
WEEK, SO YOU'RE GETTING TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE TODAY.
ENJOY!***
                  BYPASS ARRAY MODEL

HIGH-SPEED DIGITAL DESIGN    ?  online newsletter  ?
Vol. 6  Issue 02

  I'll be at DesignCon 2003 next week in San Jose,
  learning lots of new things as always. Hope to see
  you at the show. Ralph Cavin has me scheduled to
  talk on a panel about University Education. I also
  will appear with Henri Merkelo talking about the new
  reality of multi-level transceivers for backplane
  applications.

  The following week brings another reprise of the
  ever-popular High-Speed Digital Design seminar at
  the Embassy Suites Hotel in Milpitas. See
  www.sigcon.com for details.

BYPASS ARRAY MODEL

Daniel Paradis writes to the si-list:

  Is-there a Mathcad model available to calculate the
  impedance magnitude of a bypass capacitor array?

  I am specifically referring to sec 8.2 of "High
  Speed Digital Design".

Dr. Johnson replies:

  Thanks for your interest in High-Speed Digital
  Design.

  This summer I received a very nice Excel spreadsheet
  based on the approach outlined in section 8.2
  equations.  The spreadsheet was developed by JP
  Nicholls of Powerwave UK Ltd.

  It takes into account the inductance of your power-
  supply wiring, any bulk-decoupling capacitors, a
  uniform bypass capacitor array, and the natural
  capacitance of your power and ground planes.

  JP's spreadsheet produces a beautiful color version
  of my figure 8.9 showing the impedance of each
  element and also the composite impedance of all four
  elements taken in parallel. Once you see how it
  works you can modify it to do lots of other
  combinations.

  The spreadsheet runs on Windows using Excel 2000. It
  handles all the calculations quite nicely using the
  complex-maths functions in Excel.

     www.sigcon.com/pubs/news/PowerSystemImpedance.xls

  I love the fact that this has been done on an Excel
  spreadsheet because, as much as I like to use
  MathCad, I must admit that Excel is much more widely
  disseminated. Thanks, JP.

Best Regards,
Dr. Howard Johnson

  Dr. Johnson is the featured signal integrity
  columnist for EDN Magazine (http://www.ednmag.com).
  We archive all his EDN archives at http://sigcon.com
  under "Archives".

  High-Speed Signal Propagation: More Black Magic is
  now available for pre-sales at Barnes and Noble,
  www.barnesandnoble.com

If  you  have an idea that would make a  good  topic for
a   future  newsletter,  please  send  it to hsdd@xxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to this list send an email to
hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the subject field.

hsdd-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.

Newsletter Archives: http://www.sigcon.com/
Copyright 2002, Signal Consulting, Inc.