[hotchkiss1to1] Hotchkiss 1-to-1: Let's start the discussion!

  • From: Roger Wistar <rwistar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "hotchkiss1to1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hotchkiss1to1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 08:16:05 -0400

Sorry there hasn't been any activity on the listserv yet... I meant to get the
ball rolling with some inquiring questions, but then got distracted by other
things. Anyway, this is a place where we can post our thoughts, ask questions,
and generally engage the subject of teaching in a 1-to-1 environment at
Hotchkiss. Feel free to post at any time.

I will try to start the discussion with an open-ended question, and my answer.
Feel free to reply if the spirit moves you.

What is one tangible change that you hope to see in your classes as a result of
every student having his or her own computer?

My answer: I am most excited about the fact that with school-owned computers, I
can install whatever software I need for my classes. Having students who have
to come to the lab to use Adobe Creative Suite is a big hindrance to
productivity (and also, I think, something that discourages them from taking
that class). It would be great if I knew they could do the work for my classes
no matter where they were.