[hoa] Reddit: Why Are HOAs Hated So Much By Everyone?

  • From: "Robert @ Colorado HOA" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hoa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 07:51:46 -0600

http://www.reddit.com/r/RealEstate/comments/35ucnj/why_are_hoas_hated_so_much_by_everyone/

Why are HOAs hated so much by everyone? (self.RealEstate)

submitted Wednesday May 13 2015 16:09:02 UTC * by FlyingBasset

I'm buying in Northern VA and a HOA is almost mandatory around here.
The community I'm under contract in seems to have a well run HOA that
covers lawn, snow, trash, and common areas for only $77/mo (a steal
inside the metro area).

They seem well run, have good financials, and have no history of
assessments or rate hikes.

Just wondering what I should look to hate about them when they are
basically just making sure people aren't leaving toys/ bikes/ trash on
their front lawn and making sure dog owners pick up the dog's
presents. From their past minutes they seemed to have resolved
reasonable complaints in a timely manner.

Edit: Thanks for all your responses everybody. I do appreciate the
advice and experiences. I just want to make it clear that I am not in
favor of tyrannical overseers. In Northern VA you almost always share
a wall, yard, and parking lot with multiple people. I just don't want
to live in a neighborhood where people are allowed to leave trash on
their lawns or otherwise neglect their properties that I have to
essentially share even if they aren't breaking any city ordinances or
causing me financial harm. I apologize if that comes off as pompous or
overbearing. I'm going to stop responding because it's clear I am
offending some people. Thanks again for the responses.

134 comments

--
Twitter: twitter.com/ColoradoHOA
web: sites.google.com/a/coloradohoa.com/www/