[hllug] Re: more woes on the video-go-round

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 23:14:59 -0500

On 09/12/2009 07:41 PM, Don Crowder wrote:
My favorite video resolution is 1024 X 768 w/24 bit color. A few years ago I figured out that any of the assorted flavors of nVidia TNT2 cards supported my chosen resolution in all of the Linux distros I was familiar with at the time so I stocked up on them (they were very inexpensive on eBay) and that was fine for a while except it's not any more.

A few years ago a friend gave me a stack of Dell GX115's. These computers have onboard Intel video with about 4 megs of RAM (chipset is 815E). The OS is supposed to assign system RAM to take up the slack and Debian Etch did that just fine. I was able to get 1024 X 768 video on these machines with all the distributions I was familiar with at the time.

Debian Lenny (and the entire *buntu family) run at 800 X 600 on the Dell machines. That's the best they'll do. Swapping to the nVidia TNT2 card doesn't help, in fact, I couldn't get X to start at all with the TNT2 card, running Debian Lenny. (Yes, I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg from the CLI, no help).

The TNT2 cards are supported by the nVidia 71xx legacy driver which is available in Etch but not in Lenny.

So, I can't get the onboard video to do any better than 800 X 600 and my nVidia cards are useless. I've googled for a solution to this a few dozen times over the last few months.

So, I've decided that I'm going to have to give up some bucks to buy some video cards but my requirements haven't changed. I want 1024 X 768 video w/24 bit color and I don't give a rat's patoot what kind of card it is as long as it's PCI (so it'll fit everywhere I'm liable to need it), runs well in Linux and doesn't cost much. Suggestions?

I have had good luck with nVidia 8300, 8400, and 8600 series cards. You can find PCI bus 8400GS cards on newegg.com for less than $40. There are also some older nVidia 5200 series PCI cards available for the PCI bus at about the same price.

-Lee.