[hllug] Update woes w/Kubuntu 11.10

  • From: Don Crowder <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HLLUG <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:34:23 -0500

The 64 bit HP I've been using with Kubuntu 11.10 is getting progressively more buggy, crashing once or twice per day so I decided to switch to a 32 bit Dell Dimension 4700. I already had Kubuntu 11.04 installed on the machine but decided to use the package manager to upgrade to 11.10. After the upgrade it wouldn't boot up nor would it boot from a regular Kubuntu 11.10 CD. This evening I downloaded the ISO for the Kubuntu Alternate CD and used it to reinstall Kubuntu 11.10. After the installation here's what happened.

When I turn on the machine I see the text message inserted by my nVidia graphics card, the Dell boot screen; then, about 20 seconds later, everything blacks out and the boot sequence repeats from the nVidia text. The second time around, after the Dell boot up screen, I get a grub sceen. If I stay with the default selection...
"Ubuntu with Linux 3.0.0-12 generic"
...the system reboots yet again and brings me back to the grub menu.

The first time I scrolled down to the second choice on the grub screen...

"Ubuntu with Linux 3.0.0-12 (recovery mode)"

and, in the subsequent menu, selected...

fsck: Check all file systems (will exit read-only mode)

and got the following text on-screen:

---
fsck from util-linux 2.19.1

[ 49.260838] Adding 1037308k swapon /dev/sda5: Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1037308k

/dev/sda1: Superblock last mount time is in the future (by less than a day, probably due to the hardware clock being incorrectly set) FIXED.

1/dev/sda1 ***** REBOOT LINUX *****

/dev/sda1: 87069/9505536 blocks

mountall: fsck/ [464]  terminated with status 3

mountall: System must be rebooted:/

Finished, please press ENTER
---

...and it booted up just fine when I pressed enter, however, the next time I got exactly the same symptoms except I've learned that I don't actually have to do the fsck anymore so the sequence is

power-om, nVidia text, Dell boot screen, crash, nVidia text, Dell boot screen, select recovery console at grub screen and, finally, select

Resume  Resume normal boot

and it boots up just fine.

My grub version is 1.99 (basically grub2) but I noticed that the grub is listed in the repository. Is there any chance that switching to the previous version of grub will fix this? I've checked the hardware clock in the bios, it's within a couple of seconds of dead on. The install always wants know if the hardware clock is set to GMT and I always tell it no. Is there some chance that setting the clock for GMT will solve this problem? [guess I should go ahead and try that - will do and get back to you if it fixed it].

As they used to say on Johnny Carson,

more to come
--
Don Crowder