[hllug] The adventure continues

  • From: <wlanoue@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:45:33 -0400

I have a machine with two internal hard drives.  I had a fully updated and
tweaked PC Linux OS that I loved.  Well, after reading an article in Linux
Today magazine in which the author surmised that Linux Mint was so good that
the days of distro hopping were about to end.  Naturally, I was intrigued, so I
thought I'd take it for a spin.  The install on what I thought was my secondary
drive was fast and easy, and it looked fantastic, but I didn't fall in love
with it.

So, you may be saying to yourself, "What's the problem?"  The problem is that I
screwed up when partitioning and hosed my PC Linux.  Minor problem, right?
NOT!!!

After re-installing PC Linux, I naturally went to the repository to install
updates and some of my favorite programs.  I wound up with broken packages,
failed depencies, etc.  When I tried to fix it, the only repositories available
were all 2007.  After I went, "Huh?" I found out that today is the big
day...the 2010 rollout.

Distrowatch.com claims to have 2010 available for download now, but I'm going
to wait and see if I can fix everything when the repositories are available
again.

I am looking for a small distro that I can run on a 2 GB flash drive.
Recommendations please.

Beeyil

The box read, "Requires Windows XP or Better," so I installed PCLinuxOS 2009.