[hllug] Re: Smoldering Firewall

  • From: "Cranz Nichols" <wb5bkl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIST - HLLug" <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:14:18 -0500

This afternoon I tried the DSL-assisted HD install of m0n0wall referenced in
my note below.

Worked great:  I substituted an old 500Mb HD for the one with the Ubuntu
7.10 OS.  DSL ran just fine from the CD and found the network right away.  I
downloaded the image file and stored it in RAM.  Then I unzipped it and
installed it on the substitute HD.  Rebooted (and removed the DSL CD) and
there was m0n0wall running on the hard disc.  Pretty slick.

This evening I got around to configuring it and got the web-based interface
up.  I duplicated (as best as I could remember) the configuration that Lee
had installed about a month ago in Marble Falls.  Rebooted.

Hard drive failed.  Sigh.

I have another HD (much newer - and larger too).  Tomorrow is another day.

I am now pretty sure that this will eventually end up with compact flash as
the storage medium...

cln
Meanest Man on Emeralds Drive

  <snip>