[hllug] I've a new favorite distro for older systems.

  • From: Don Crowder <donguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HLLUG <hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:05:41 -0600

Now that development of KateOS is, for all intents and purposes, frozen, I've been trying to find a good distro for older hardware. I've tried many of the distros suggested by DistroWatch (Austrumi, DeLi Linux, PapugLinux, Puppy Linux and Tiny Core Linux) and either had problems or simply wasn't pleased with them though I was pleasantly surprised by Slitaz. The Live CD is about 30 megs and it runs very nicely. It's comparatively easy to install and, once installed, there's a good selection of additional software titles in the repository. There are still a few distros I want to try (or try again) like Absolute Linux, LinuxConsole, Mepis, Unity, TinyMe, Vector and WattOS but, so far, Slitaz is my new favorite. The Live CD was so fast on a 500 MHz P3 machine that Lisa thought it was an installed OS.

http://www.slitaz.org/en/

The adventure continues.

Don