[hllug] Re: Intel Video driver & firefox bug

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:20:23 -0500

On 10/25/2011 08:54 PM, Lee Parmeter wrote:
> Apparently there several known bugs on x86 with Linux 2.6.32+ kernel and
> the intel video driver i915. I am aware the the problems persist in at
> least Ubuntu 10.4 and 10.10. Issue is suppose to be fixed in newer Linux
> kernel source.
>
> 1. My son's laptop has an intel chipset and with Ubuntu 10.4 & 10.10 the
> video goes black during the Linux boot process and the machine locks up.
>
> 2. The other interesting one is triggered by Firefox. I have seen this bug
> on multiple Dell Dim 2400 systems with the intel 82845G video chipset. The
> video goes out in the wees with blinking black & white stripes and the
> machine locks up solid. This one is random, but is always trigger when
> using Firefox. Installing and using Chromium appears to prevent the lockup.
> One time with Chromium, I saw the black & white video image in the browser,
> but it did not kill X nor lockup the machine up. In fact it did not even
> kill Chromium!
>
> I have seen two possible solutions to work around these problems:
> a. Add the kernel option "nomodeset" in Grub. This is suppose to fix #1,
> the boot-up problem. You have to get into the GRUB2 files to fix this as
> there is no "/boot/grub/menu.lst" anymore!
>
> b. Add the "modeset" option to a custom "/etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf" file.
> This may fix problem #2 but have not tried it. I have not found any detail
> yet concerning format of entry in user created "i915.conf".
>
> -Lee

Here's some info on how to set apply the "nomodeset" kernel option:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Kernel_Mode_Setting

--
Lee Parmeter
http://www.bubbasgeek.com

"When it comes to Vista: just say NO! If you're not ready for Linux, buy a
MAC!" - Lee Parmeter
"God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy!"
- Lee Parmeter