[hllug] Re: How do I mount a thumbdrive in Debian?

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:34:58 -0600

Don:

Ubuntu does not need or use autofs, so there are other solutions.

What is the exact message? What is recorded in the system log (usually
"/var/log/messages". It should at least say what the device name is, say
"/dev/sda1".

To mount the usb pen or thumb drive manually:

First create a subdirectory off "/mnt" or "/media", for example: /mnt/flash

# mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

(note: # means as root user)

if the above works, umount the drive

# umount /mnt/flash

Then you could just add following to "/etc/fstab":

/dev/sda1 /mnt/flash auto noauto,user 0 0

Note: Ubuntu enables the user to control whether the usb drive is auto
mounted via Gnome's "gnome-volume-properties" (System - Preferences -
Removable Drives and Media).

-Lee