[hllug] Re: Home Server O/S Upgrade

  • From: Lee Parmeter <geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hllug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:29:28 -0500

Lee Parmeter wrote:
Been busy myself over the weekend upgrading my Home NFS/SMB/MythTV File
Server. This server has a RAID1 (mirror) setup and was running Fedora 8. I
tried to upgrade to Fedora 11 using Fedora's "preupgrade" tool and ran into
a roadblock in that "preupgrade" does not support RAID boot partitions. So,
I was left with no safe way to upgrade the server to the latest release
(Fedora 11). Since I have had good success upgrading Ubuntu over the last
couple years, I blew Fedora away with a Fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 AMD_64
Server. I had some problems with a buggy NVidia kernel drivers but the
server is up using the "nv" display driver and minus the MythTV Backend
server for now.

Multi-tasking, I also rebuilt my daughters Windows/Linux Desktop machine
but still having some problems with lock-ups which are most likely due to
NVidia related issues.

Unfortunately there are lots of documented problems with the proprietary
NVidia driver at the moment.

Also have some updated info concerning my File Server and MythTV Backend upgrade.

File Server:
=======
Ubuntu 9.04 Server is stable as my home file server with the RAID1 (Mirror), NFS/SMB file services, print server and backup working properly. However, it was unacceptable as a MythTV Backend Server due to kernel module bugs related to the tv tuner cards I am using. So, as I result, I had to move the MythTV Backend to a dedicated machine.

MythTV Backend:
Bought a full-size Asus M4N78 Pro ATX motherboard that had 3 PCI slots for the tuner cards, a 1GB SATAII hard drive, AMD_Phenom 9150e CPU and 2GB memory. I re-cycled a case, power supply and a DVD drive for the build. Installed Fedora 11 64 bit. I also upgraded the firmware on the HDHomeRun QAM tuners and added a 3rd HVR-1600 (Digital/Analog) tuner card. So the system now has 3 analog tuners, 2 OTA Digital tuners, and 2 Cable QAM tuners. Runs great now. very stable, with no kernel module or streaming problems.

MythTV Frontend:
Upgraded CPU from a dual-core to a quad to resolve some performance issue problems. Now I can allocate 2 or 3 CPU's to the HD streams in High Quality mode and still have one or more CPU's to handle the TV Guide and MythTV menu access.

-Lee